Wicks made to wait to learn fate

Former Grafton Ghosts and Newcastle Knights player Danny Wicks arrived at court yesterday for sentencing on his drug charges.
Former Grafton Ghosts and Newcastle Knights player Danny Wicks arrived at court yesterday for sentencing on his drug charges.

CONVICTED drug dealer Danny Wicks must wait another two months to learn his sentence after his conviction on a string of charges relating to the sale of ecstasy pills while he was a player with the Newcastle Knights Rugby League Club.

Wicks faced the District Court in Newcastle yesterday, where his case was adjourned while the Department of Public Prosecutions (DPP) considers the available evidence in this and related cases.

The former Grafton Ghosts forward pleaded guilty to three drug trafficking charges on November 5 last year, almost a year after he and another former Grafton man, Christopher Ryan Jones, were busted by police following a long period of surveillance.

Wicks' younger brother, Brett, and his partner Tristen Davenport, were also arrested and charged in the same police operation.

Jones was sentenced on Monday to 27 months in jail on charges of supplying drugs and dealing with the proceeds of crime.

At the time of their arrest in December 2009, Wicks and Jones were in a car where police found $1200 in a pair of underpants and 26.9g of methylamphetamines wrapped in a pair of board shorts.

One of the charges against Wicks was that he supplied 150 ecstasy tables to former Knights teammate Chris Houston.

In December last year, Houston was cleared of all charges and has been reinstated at the Knights.

The Knights suspended Wicks after he was charged.

In 2010 he signed with the Grafton Ghosts, where he had played his junior football, a move that sparked controversy in his home town.

The club defended the decision to sign a player under such a cloud, saying he was innocent until proven guilty and they were supporting one of their own.

Wicks did not finish the season with the Ghosts, who went through the 2010 season as undefeated premiers.

The club claimed a knee injury prematurely ended his season.

Wicks has continued to live in the Clarence Valley while on bail, working as a security guard at a Lower Clarence pub.

His drug convictions will probably end his professional rugby league career, as he is almost certain to face a four-year ban from the sport.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Byron Bus Interchange in transit

WHERE TO NOW: The current Byron Bay Bus Interchange is well and truly at capacity, and then some.

Byron Bus Interchange is now in transit

It's apple season at the markets

MARKETS: High in fibre, vitamin c and antioxidants, it's no wonder apples have a reputation for keeping the doctor away.

She's all apples at local farmers markets.

Healing power of photographic art

WINDOWS UPDATE: Jim Hourigan from Healing Photo Art (back row, second from left) and Kathryn Blaich (bottom left) with Tuckeroo staff and five of the 30 images that will grace the facility's walls.

Healing windows on the world in Byron bay

Local Partners