Veteran in shock after thoughtless thief steals war medals
A WAR veteran has had the medals he would have worn in this week's Anzac Day parade stolen from his western Sydney home.
The 82-year-old, who was decorated with 13 medals for his service in the Korean and Vietnam wars, was robbed while he and his wife were enjoying a day out with their son on Monday.
They returned home to find a back window smashed, the bedrooms ransacked and a number of personal belongings, including the medals, stolen.
Detective Superintendent Wayne Murray said stealing a veteran's war medals at any time was a low act, but taking them so close to Anzac Day was "simply unconscionable".
He said the medals were obviously of "extreme significance and importance" the veteran and called on the community to do everything possible to help him get them back.
The missing medals are:
- Korean Medal
- United Nations Service Medal (Korea)
- Vietnam Medal
- Vietnamese Campaign Medal
- Long Service and Good Conduct Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Australian Service Medal 1945-75 with Korea and Vietnam Clasp
- Australian Active Service Medal 1945-77 with Korea and Vietnam clasps
- Defence Force Service Medal
- Infantry Combat Badge
- Return From Active Services Badge
- Service to Australia Medallion - Monte Bello Islands
- Service to Australia Medallion - Maralinga