League legend linked to cocaine cartel: police

TOOWOOMBA-BASED State of Origin legend Jason Smith is connected to a multi-million dollar cocaine cartel, according to police.

Details of the connection allegedly involving Smith and fellow former NRL star Matt Seers have emerged.

A Courier Mail report quoted a police source saying cocaine trafficking charges against Toowoomba resident Smith and former North Sydney Bears and Wests Tigers player Seers were linked to a major Crime and Corruption Commission drug operation.

Smith, 42, was photographed wearing a Rehab Island design t-shirt when he attended Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Wednesday to sign bail documents.

>> Qld State of Origin great, restaurateur on cocaine charges


Jason Smith with his 1998 State of Origin winning jersey.
Jason Smith with his 1998 State of Origin winning jersey. Dave Noonan

A day earlier, Seers' case was mentioned briefly at Southport Magistrates Court, on the Gold Coast.

Smith and Seers, a one-time NSW Origin representative, were arrested on different days in different cities but both have been charged with trafficking cocaine in what police and the Crime and Corruption Commission will allege was a major drug operation.

Little was said in court during both appearances.

The report said police documents revealed the duo, who between them racked up more than 400 NRL games and 20 Origin clashes, were banned from contacting each other during their respective cases.

Smith, was arrested on January 5 and charged with trafficking cocaine.

He faces a second charge after police allegedly found a set of scales and two spoons used in connection with drug trafficking.

Seers has also been accused of drug trafficking and taking part in more than a dozen drug deals on the Gold Coast and in Toowoomba between August and December last year.

Smith's lawyer Chris Hannay, of Gold Coast firm Hannay Lawyers, on Wednesday appeared on Smith's and his co-accused Jason Wood's behalf for the first mention of cocaine trafficking charges that were laid on January 5.

Mr Hannay was the subject of media attention last year when he launched a $1.2 million defamation suit against then Premier Campbell Newman and Attorney General Jarrod Bleijie.

The lawyer, whose other clients have included bikies, claimed comments made in February last year by the two politicians criticising criminal lawyers were specifically aimed at him.

Smith and Wood are next due to face Toowoomba Magistrates Court on May 6.

Topics:  cocaine state of origin toowoomba

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

EDITORIAL: Extending the claw of conditional compassion

BLOW HARD: THE era of the racist dog-whistling is over, and a new era of megaphone racism has dawned.

A new era of megaphone racism has dawned

Brunswick plan hits stormy Waters

RESTORATION: Peter Wade and Phil Waters with Mr Wade's 30ft fantail River Launch the June Rose that Mr Wade has been restoring over previous two years. Built in the late 1920s in Sydney, its reputed to be a paymaster's boat during the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Marine industry want Bruns Harbour presence.

Council vote: locals cry foul over paid parking carve up

PAID PARKING: Council to commit 50% of revenue from meters to Byron town.

Locals seething over paid parking carve up

Local Partners