IMMIGRATION Minister Tony Burke will visit the Manus Island detention centre this week, after shocking allegations of rape and torture were aired on ABC Television on Tuesday night.
A whistleblower spoke to the ABC alleging staff at the detention centre turned a blind eye to rapes and assaults at the centre.
Former compliance manager at the centre, Rod St George, told ABC he resigned after asylum-seekers were raped and tortured by other detainees.
"I've never seen human beings so destitute, so helpless and so hopeless before," he said.
Mr Burke, on Wednesday, said the allegations were horrific and indicated he would visit the island to ensure adequate precautions were in place.
He said he was put in touch with the whistleblower on Tuesday night and said he would "look for myself" at the situation at the centre.
It is understood Mr Burke also plans to visit Nauru, after a riot and massive damage at the offshore detention centre last week, sparked by the announcement of a deal to send all refugees to PNG on Friday.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.