Thomas Markle ‘lied to Harry’
PRINCE Harry made a phone call to Thomas Markle nine days before the royal wedding, when his future father-in-law said he had not colluded with paparazzi to stage photos, it has been claimed.
Veteran royal photographer Arthur Edwards has claimed that the soon-to-be groom called Mr Markle at his home in Mexico to inquire about reports that he had been working in collaboration with photographers to improve his public perception.
Speaking to Radio Kent, Edwards claims that Mr Markle's denial of these facts caused Prince Harry "embarrassment"
He said: "Harry spoke to the father direct and said have you been co-operating with the paparazzi. He said no.
"The Palace put out a statement on Friday night saying to respect his privacy. Harry had been reassured by the father it was not going on."
Edwards told the Radio Show, hosted by Prince Harry's biographer Duncan Larcombe, that he knew the paparazzi photos were staged before Mr Markle admitted it.
"We knew the father was colluding with the paparazzi. Everyone in the business knows that. When he was in the library, looking at the TV screen and they happen to be there. You don't get measured up for a suit in a shop window."
Mr Markle was not in attendance for the May 19 wedding, and has claimed he has had no contact with his daughter since.
The day after Prince Harry made the alleged phone call - speculated to be May 11 - press watchdog IPSO issued a warning, requesting that the media respect Mr Markle's privacy.
Less than a day later, reports surfaced that showed Mr Markle had in fact been colluding with the paparazzi, organising for photographer Jeff Rayner to take the staged photos.
Mr Markle later told TMZ that he regretted posing for the photos and apologised for the collusion.
Kensington Palace issued a statement from Meghan and Harry asking for "understanding and respect" as speculation mounted that Mr Markle would pull out from walking his daughter down the aisle.
The statement said: "This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation."
Meghan's mother Dora was the one who gave her daughter away during the service, with Prince Charles accompanying her down the aisle to her expectant groom.