UPDATE THURSDAY 12PM: A second man has been arrested in relation to the home-made bomb drama in West Ipswich which maimed a man two weeks ago.
A 50-year-old man is being interviewed by police after officers returned to Darling St this morning.
Police received a tip off from the public last night, revealing more explosive material on the lawn of an abandoned home.
Officers from the Public Safety Response Team searched the front yards this morning, finding a suspicious package in a second abandoned home.
Police carried out a controlled detonation at 10.30am.
Tests of the package revealed it contained no explosive material.
BREAKING 8.30PM: Bomb squad members detonated more explosive material in West Ipswich tonight with the loud blast bringing fearful residents out into the streets.
The material - the highly volatile TATP - was located in a vacant block of land in Darling St after a tip-off from the public, less than 50 metres from the Clay St home where the bomb squad carried out 18 controlled detonations last month.
Police conducted a search of the immediate vicinity and no other traces of explosives were detected.
West Ipswich resident Bill Elliott, who lives in Darling St several houses down from the vacant block of land where the explosives were found, was out on the street when The QT arrived at the scene.
"I heard the boom, came out and the police were already here. It shook the house," he said. "After a week had gone past I thought it was all finished, but all of a sudden here we go again. I can't believe it."
Insp Charysse Pond confirmed the events that led up to the controlled detonation which occurred at 5.10pm.
"As a result of information from the public we have located another small trace of TATP," she said. "Our explosive response team have come out and ... as a safety precaution we have destroyed it by way of a controlled explosion."
Insp Pond also confirmed that the Clay St residence where last month's blast took place had been cleared and there were no more explosives found.
On July 25 a 37-year-old man lost both hands and suffered traumatic injuries to his groin and genitals in the explosion that rocked West Ipswich and made headlines around the nation.
Police later charged one of the men involved in the homemade bomb explosion, 43-year-old Glen Charles Dell, with causing grievous bodily harm in relation to the horrific explosion which blew off Michael Boggan's hands in a Leichhardt explosion on May 10.
Insp Keith McDonald told The QT last month that only a few grams of the explosive chemicals would be enough to cause serious injuries if detonated and that the substance could explode by itself in temperatures above 38 degrees.
Mr Elliott was worried more explosives could be in the vicinity.
"You could be walking past and all of a sudden you are gone," he said.
Allan Patterson, a West Ipswich resident who lives around the corner from the bomb site, echoed those concerns.
"I'm worried because I've got kids and they play and go wandering off," he said.
Other residents approached police last night with questions about what else could be in the area, with concerns about their children's welfare a priority.
Mr Elliott also said he was upset that he had not been informed by police that the controlled explosion was about to take place. But Insp Pond said those in the immediate vicinity were informed.
"The people in the impacted area were all advised," she said.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.