IMAGINE if you could write to your younger self about love and the opposite sex. It's a question that everyone asks themselves. What would I tell poor foolish me?
The question makes you realise how much you have learnt from all of those heartbreaks.
Emotional scars have negative or positive effects on who we are in our next relationship. I can't email my younger self, so I thought I would share with you my 10 lessons.
1. Be yourself. Don't re-evaluate the way you think about anything to impress anyone.
2. Know when to throw in the towel. I was never good at giving up. There's nothing wrong with rejection or moving on. Take the hint and walk away.
3. Typecast. Everyone has a type. However, try looking for someone outside your box.
4. Stop procrastinating. The early bird gets the girl. The longer you take to ask that girl out the more likely she will give up waiting.
5. Naughty and nice. Sometimes the best way to get the girl is not to give her what she expects.
If all the guys are telling her she's beautiful and you're not, she will wonder why and seek your approval. It sounds mean but that's why bad boys get the girl.
6. Love is a drug. Like all drugs, there are ones that are good for you and ones that aren't. All of them are addictive and come with painful withdrawal.
Decide if the love you're taking is good for your health.
7. Not every girl can be the one. If you're looking at a girl thinking she's the one, remember you thought the same about the last girl.
8. We accept the love we think we deserve. Never tell yourself you're not good enough for anyone or love someone who doesn't deserve it.
9. Try a little tenderness. Don't be afraid to show your softer side. Look after your girl romantically and sexually. After all, she looks after you.
10. If you want to get the girl, you have to risk losing her. This is the golden rule. Tell her how you feel. If it doesn't work, it wasn't meant to be.
You can't change your past but you can learn from it and it's from our mistakes we learn the most. We just have to make them first. Don't let them affect you negatively.
After all, to go through life and not feel heartbreak, is to live a life without love.
What advice would you give to your younger self? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.