Smoke alarms save Mullum family

Smoke alarms have been credited with saving a Mullumbimby family after their house caught fire early on Monday morning.

Three Rural Fire Brigade appliances and one NSWFB appliance attended the fire at Grand Valley Circuit at Mullumbimby at about 12.30 am.

When firefighters arrived they found the occupants of the house had safely evacuated after smoke filled the house.

RFS Group Captain Michael Cooper said the smoke alarms saved the family by waking them from their sleep. By closing doors and windows as they evacuated, they helped to confine the fire to one room.

The residents had dialled 000 after they had all evacuated safely. Although the fire was confined to one room, firemen used breathing apparatus to help extinguish the fire as the house was filled with smoke.

RFS Community Safety Officer Laurence McCoy said people thinking they would be woken up by a fire was a myth.

He said the toxic smoke and gases were more likely to have the opposite effect.

The best way to protect your family was to have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your house, he said.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Mental health survey for our entertainers

SURVEY: Entertainment Assist is conducting research into mental health among people working in the industry.

Findings will be used to develop a prevention framework

Confirmed: Matt Damon is NOT moving to Byron Bay

HOLLYWOOD COUPLE: Matt Damon and Luciana Barroso arriving at the 88th Annual Academy Awards at Hollywood & Highland Center on February 28, 2016 in Hollywood, California.

But the town gained an unexpected US marketing campaign

Country Club becomes the centre of power

GENERATION: Nationals Parliamentary Secretary for Renewable Energy Ben Franklin, presenting the funding to the Club - General Manager Andrew Spice, Golf Director Ian Wingad, Chairman Peter Tomaros, Treasurer Anne Slater, and Director Tony Dahl.

Grant to Shore emergency centre

Local Partners