A fire started in a chimney at Tweed Heads
A fire started in a chimney at Tweed Heads Trevor Veale

Six people escape house fire that started in chimney

A FAMILY got a scare when their house filled with smoke about midnight last night.

Tweed Heads NSW Fire and Rescue Senior Firefighter Dick Fraser said the Lalina Ave, Tweed Heads, property's roof caught fire from a stray ember from their fireplace.

"The people at home noticed it and we got the call," he said.

"We dealt with the rest after the owners managed to knock it down a bit.

"It caused a lot of smoke damage."

Snr Firefighter Fraser said about six people were in the home when it caught alight.

He was unsure if smoke alarms were in the house.

Two fire trucks attended the fire and it took only a few minutes to contain the blaze.

"It took about 30 minutes to fully extinguish then we continued with salvage efforts," he said.

"There was no external damage."

Snr Firefighter Fraser said this fire came as a timely reminder for people to make sure their fireplace is properly maintained and cleaned in the lead up to winter.


Tapping into nostalgic memories on Tap Pack tour

Premium Content Tapping into nostalgic memories on Tap Pack tour

Smooth, suave, sophisticated members of The Tap Pack set to tour Lismore and Byron...

Check your crabs carefully, size limits are about to change

Premium Content Check your crabs carefully, size limits are about to change

Fishers will soon need to check their crab pots even more carefully with the...

North Coast concerns to be heard at rural health inquiry

Premium Content North Coast concerns to be heard at rural health inquiry

The inquiry will look at the pressures of rural and regional health