The festival attracts around six thousand people every year, with it's range of chilli foods, activities and entertainment.
Some of Australia's biggest players in the chilli industry roll in to Sawtell to showcase the latest and greatest in chilli products and recipes.
During the day long event you can sample or even buy some of Australia's best chilli products from reputable companies such as the Byron Bay Chilli Company, Seatonfire Chilli and the Noosa Chilli Company.
You can even learn how to cook with chillis and be entertained by street theatre and buskers, the chilli cook-off, hat parade and of course the highly coveted annual Chilli Eating Competition.
Sawtell Chilli Festival Open Time
10.30am and 4pm
July 4, 2009
Sawtell, NSW 2452
Telephone: 02 6658 2067
Fax: 02 6653 1403
Thinking about heading off to the Sawtell Chilli Festival?
Why not check out all the action from last year's festival. Here's a quick sneak peak of what you can expect.
Spicy Yoghurt Chicken
- 8 to 10 chicken drumsticks,
- 200gr low-fat natural yoghurt,
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed,
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin,
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander,
- 2 tablespoons Funnelweb Bite (Hot Sweet Chilli Sauce 8/10)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place chicken into a shallow dish. Mix yoghurt, garlic, cumin, coriander and Funnelweb Bite in a bowl. Pour over chicken and coat well.
- Cover with cling wrap. Place marinated chicken in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove excess marinade from chicken. Arrange drumsticks on a foil-lined baking tray. Bake in a moderately hot oven (190c) for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked.
- Place remaining marinade into a saucepan. Mix in cornflour to thicken and add sugar. Bring to the boil while stirring. Reduce heat. Simmer for three minutes.
Chilli Pork Spare Ribs
- 10 pork spare ribs
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 1 red hot chilli, finely chopped
- Combine other ingredients and marinate spare ribs for 1 hour or overnight. Grill, bake or BBQ for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to crisp during cooking.
Plum and Chilli King prawns
- 24 large uncooked prawns
- 2/3 cup savoury plum sauce
- 2 tablespoons homey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chilli
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 1/4 caups dry white rice
- Prepare prawns and marinate the night before. Shell and de-vein the prawns. Slightly heat the honey until warm, add plum sauce, chilli and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for four hours. Prepare rice according to packet directions. Drain prawns, reserving marinade.
- Pour marinade, except for 1/4 cup into saucepan and heat until warm. Mix cornflour with the quarter cup marinade and stir into the heated sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring until thickened.
- Pour over cooked prawns. To cook prawns, pour oil into a non-stick pan and saute for one to two minutes. Serve prawns on the cooked rice with sauce poured over the top.
Roamfree has some great Chilli Festival accommodation in Sawtell and Coffs Harbour.
Here's some suggestions.
Sawtell Beach Haven Apartments
Beach Haven Apartments are located in Sawtell, an extremely picturesque and beautiful beach side village, just six kilometres south of Coffs Harbour.
The apartments are situated off the main street on a quiet lane and are as close to Murrays beach as you get.
Sawtell's famous main street with cafes, cinema, shops, hotel and restaurants a short stroll away.
Checkout Sawtell Beach Haven Apartment's availability for Chilli Festival.
Coffs Harbour Holiday Apartments
Coffs Harbour Holiday Apartments is only a stones throw from Park Beach Bowling Club, great family and surfing beaches.
Situated just a short stroll to the local shopping centre, public transport and many great restaurants and cafes, this is an ideal location for your next stay.
Chekout Coffs Harbour Holiday Apartments' availability for Chilli Festival.
Ocean Parade Motel
Ocean Parade Motel is opposite Park Beach Bowling Club and Coffs Harbour's beautiful Park Beach.
Apart from beautiful views of the beach frontage, the motel also has all the amenities including a swimming pool and breakfast is delivered to your door.
Checkout Ocean Parade Motel's availability for Chilli Festival.
For more accommodation around Sawtell checkout roamfree.com.au.
Find out more about the Sawtell Chill festival at www.sawtellchillifestival.com.au.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.