Rewards for dog owners
To promote positive dog ownership and care, Byron Council has introduced a reward program for dog owners in the north of the shire who ‘do the right thing’.
Nominated dog owners will go into the draw to win a $100 dinner voucher at Reflections Restaurant in the Ocean Shores Country Club.
Council ranger Scott Brodie said staff had met recently with South Golden Beach community members to discuss a number of dog concerns from the area.
“We have seen a noticeable increase in reports on dogs roaming the streets, being walked off leashes, barking and attacks,” he said.
“In an effort to reward good behaviour and responsible pet ownership, rangers will be issuing raffle tickets to dog owners they see ‘doing the right thing’. This includes walking a dog on the leash and picking up faeces.
“Responsible pet ownership also means keeping your dog in a secure yard and ensuring your dog is friendly and comfortable with people.”
The reward program will be drawn at the end of September.
Council rangers will also be undertaking additional patrols in the areas, letter box dropping information and issuing enforcement notices.
Dog enforcement fines range from $165 for an unregistered dog, $220 a dog off leash, $330 for a dog in a prohibited area and $550 for a dog attack.
Dog owners are also encouraged to read the signs before going on to public beaches.
There are five beach zones in Byron Shire where dogs are allowed to be exercised off the leash.
Even within these zones it is important to remain in control of your dog, carry a lead and ensure it does not harass other people, other pets or wander off outside of the designated areas into bird breeding habitats.
Designated dog exercise beaches in the Byron Shire are:
* Tallow Beach: from a point adjacent to Jarman Street, Suffolk Park, extending in a northerly direction to the Arakwal National Park
* Main Beach/Belongil: from a point adjacent to Manfred Street, Belongil, extending in an easterly direction to a point on the western side of Main Beach car park and including Cavanbah Reserve
* Brunswick Heads: from a point 20m south of the Brunswick Heads surf club extending in a southerly direction for 400m to the boundary of Tyagarah Nature Reserve
* New Brighton: from a point adjacent to Strand Avenue, extending in a southerly direction to a point 500m north of the northern breakwall of the Brunswick River
* South Golden Beach: from a point adjacent to Gloria Street, extending in a northerly direction to the Billinudgel Nature Reserve.