Refrigerator blamed for death of 10-year-old boy

WHEN Sarah Klebs' daughter Caroline complained of a headache last Saturday, followed by her son, Gavin, vomiting, she assumed the family had caught the flu, the Alaska Dispatch News reported.

But a day later, after the family was pulled out of their recreational cabin near Big Lake, she realised it wasn't a virus - it was carbon monoxide poisoning.

"How would you know?" Ms Klebs told the Alaska Dispatch News. "Prior to this, I never would have thought about it."

The propane-powered appliance at their cabin had started leaking carbon monoxide - an odourless gas - investigators later determined.

Ms Klebs and 8-year-old Caroline recovered, but Gavin did not. The 10-year-old was found in the main area of the home.

Ms Klebs' husband, Matt Klebs, is a mechanical contractor and said he thought the refrigerator was in good condition. He even he did regular maintenance on it.

"I'm in the business to keep this from happening," he said.

Now the heartbroken couple are speaking out about what happened to warn other families about the hidden danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

They are encouraging families to install a carbon monoxide detector in their home. They said they did not yet have a detector in the 25-by-30-foot cabin they use frequently, but told the Alaska Dispatch News they had planned install one in winter when they'd be spending more time indoors.

Topics:  editors picks fridge

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Byron solar train stays on track

ROLLING: Byron Bay Railway Company's solar train.

Solar train stays on track in Byron Bay

Byron Bay are finals bound

PITCH PERFECT: Byron Bay's Levi Shouldice took 5-42 against Lennox Head on Saturday.

Byron head for cricket finals.

Boardriders season finally catches a wave

BIG WIN: Bryce Cameron wins the men's open at the Boardriders meet.

Waves arrive for Boardriders kick off

Local Partners