MOVING home is a stressful time for all concerned, however to simplify this, here are some tips for the "Big Move". It all starts with the right preparation.
- Choose your removal method either by professionals or do it yourself. Removalist companies not only save the aches and pain but also time and some even do the packing for you.
- Arrange for time off work, if possible.
4 - 6 weeks before moving
- Redirect your mail & change your address.
- Make a list of those you need to contact such as;
- Mobile Phone Provider
- Insurance Companies
- Start to pack clothing and be ruthless. Get rid of as much junk as possible.
- Separate moving items into categories, such as "moving", "storage" "disposal", "giveaway", and "garage sale".
- Start consuming all food in your freezer and cupboards to empty them out before the move.
- Clean out cupboards and pack things you don't need. Number and label boxes clearly.
- Identify items that you need so you don't pack essentials.
- If you are renting confirm the date you will be leaving the property and arrange for the refund of your bond upon final inspection.
2 weeks before the move
- Confirm in writing the date with the removalist, Hire Truck Company or family and friends.
- Arrange for disconnection and reconnection of electricity, telephone and internet provider and allow at least one week for this to occur.
- If renting arrange for carpets to be cleaned.
- Cancel newspapers etc.
- Clean and defrost fridge the day before you move.
The big day
- Carry all valuables, personal effects, important papers and passports with you.
- Pack a small box of items including some toiletries, a change of clothes, medicines, toilet paper, soap and towels that you'll need for immediate use in your new home.
- Pack another box with kitchen essentials such as a kettle, cutlery, mugs, tea, coffee and snacks for the move day.
- Have a checklist of all furniture and boxes and check this off against your inventory as they go into the van or truck.
- Disconnect the washing machine and dishwasher and allow draining.
- Check all doors and windows are securely locked.
- Do a final check of all storage areas.
This will not only save you time and effort but enable you to prioritise and keep a sense of perspective on the tasks that lie ahead.
Read more ...
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.