Police are negotiating with a man at Currumbin.
Police are negotiating with a man at Currumbin. Nolan Verheij-full

Tugun man, 42, charged after Currumbin father-son siege

6.20AM UPDATE: A man has been charged following a 12-hour siege at Currumbin yesterday that resulted in an emergency situation being declared.

It will also be alleged police located dangerous drugs and paraphernalia during a search of the unit.

A 42-year-old Tugun man has been charged with three counts of serious assault police, possessing dangerous drugs and other drug offences.

He is expected to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court today.

The stand-off involving a father and son ended peacefully, police said after the emergency was declared at 9am.

The emergent order was revoked at 8.45pm after the man and a 16-year-old boy emerged peacefully from the unit.

 

INITIAL report, 11.58am:  A SIEGE was underway outside a Currumbin home as of 11.30am Tuesday.

A Queensland Police Media spokeswoman said police were negotiating with a 42-year-old man inside the unit on Gold Coast Hwy, near Millers Dr.

She said the man's 16-year-old son - who was also inside the unit - made a call to police about 7am.

It's understood police have concerns for the welfare of the man and his son.

Police couldn't rule out the man being armed with a knife - but said no direct threats had been made.

"It's an ongoing situation," the spokeswoman said.

"Negotiations are underway on scene.

"Police aren't rushing into anything; they want to keep both the boy and the man safe."


Fashion festival turns the Bay into glamorous runway

Fashion festival turns the Bay into glamorous runway

The event will feature swimwear, resort and evening wear runways

Photo of Kelly Slater on top of Chris Hemsworth goes viral

Photo of Kelly Slater on top of Chris Hemsworth goes viral

Looks like their 'bromance' is getting serious

Sign on for BK Classic or Willsy X Groms

Sign on for BK Classic or Willsy X Groms

BK Classic and Willsy X Grom sign ons are open

Local Partners