Man paralysed by spiked drink

A MAN has been lucky to regain the use of his legs after he was left paralysed by a spiked drink at a licenced venue in Glenelg last week.

The man, aged in his 20s, accepted a shot of alcohol from an unknown man about 11.30pm on Friday, January 19.

Shortly after leaving the licenced venue the victim became unwell and an ambulance had to be called.

He was taken to Flinders Medical Centre where he was treated for paralysis.

He was treated for two days at the hospital but has since been discharged and, while still recovering from the spiked drink, he has regained the use of his legs.

Police are running a toxicology analysis of what may have caused the paralysis.
Police are running a toxicology analysis of what may have caused the paralysis.

Police are investigating the incident and are running a toxicology analysis of what may have caused the paralysis.

Detectives believe that substance used to spike the drink may have been a substance known as 'coma in a bottle', GBL or GHB.

The security camera footage from the hotel and surrounding area is being analysed by police

Police are reminding the public to be vigilant while drinking in public venues and not to accept any drinks for strangers.

Anyone with information about this incident that may assist the investigation is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or by going online.


Bright flashes, ‘fireballs’ expected in our skies this week

Premium Content Bright flashes, ‘fireballs’ expected in our skies this week

There were sightings in Ballina, Suffolk Park and as far north as Tugun

Parkway Drive drummer tells Netflix to ditch Byron Baes

Premium Content Parkway Drive drummer tells Netflix to ditch Byron Baes

PHOTOS: High profile locals want Netflix show to be scrapped

'Licence to print money': Farmers milking success at last

Premium Content 'Licence to print money': Farmers milking success at last

Northern Rivers man says "it’s comfortably the best year I’ve had"