PM focuses on the hunt for MH370 not the cost of operation

NOW into the third week of searching for lost Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, Prime Minister Tony Abbott believes there could be a "reckoning" to sort out who will pay for costs, but for now the focus is on the hunt.

Each country is so far footing its own bills.

Mr Abbott is avoiding any discussion of a conclusion to searching for the missing Boeing 777, which disappeared while en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

Speaking in Perth on Monday, Mr Abbott said Australia owed it to the families of the 239 people on board to keep searching.

"I'm certainly not putting a time limit on it," he said.

"We can keep searching for quite some time to come and we will keep searching for quite some time to come.

"As I said, the intensity of our search and the magnitude of our operations is increasing not decreasing."

An Australian Orion aircraft has identified several orange objects - each larger than 2m in size - within the search zone.

More than 100 people were in the air and another 1000 sailors spent Monday scouring the search area for more debris.

Aircrafts from China, the United States, Korea, Malaysia and a civilian jet were involved.

Two Australian ships, seven Chinese vessels and a merchant ship were combing the waters at sea level.

The Australian Ocean Shield - fitted with a black box detector and automatic underwater vehicle - was dispatched from Perth in the morning.

On Sunday the Prime Minister announced the creation of a Joint Agency Coordination Centre to support the search.


This year's Uncle's uncle

This year's Uncle's uncle

Uncle Project names uncle of the year

Hospital transformation begins

Hospital transformation begins

Asbestos clean up ahead of hospital sit re-make

Diving in deeper at Renew Fest

Diving in deeper at Renew Fest

Presenters and speakers wantewd for sustainability festival

Local Partners