Party boy quizzed over London Tube attack
POLICE have identified one of the suspects of the London Tube bombing as 21-year-old Syrian refugee Yahyah Farroukh. The arrest took place at midnight Saturday in Hounslow, West London, reports The Sun.
The party-boy promoter, who lists Dope Diamond Entertainment and BSQ London (with events such as Girls Gone Wild and Bad Girls' Night Out) as his workplaces on Facebook, was tackled by four undercover policemen outside Aladdins Fried Chicken shop.
"The guy had just walked past the takeaway when three blokes and a woman came running past and he was rugby tackled to the floor," one witness told The Sun.
"The guy was screaming. When they took him down his phone went flying and he dropped his bag containing a drink can and a KitKat.
"The cops were shouting to get his phone. I guess because it holds important information.
"They called for back-up and two more cops turned up.
"They were holding him down and trying to calm him," the witness said.
"A forensic team wrapped his arms in plastic up to his biceps and his legs up to his thighs.
"They put plastic on his shoes then put him in overalls and plastic cuffs.
"They put him in a car which also had all the seats wrapped in plastic.
"He looked like he didn't speak much English but he was responding to what they were saying.
"It seems they had been waiting in a car on the side road. As soon as I saw them wrapping him up I knew it was really serious."
Farroukh used to be cared for by foster pair Ron and Penny Jones, whose house in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, was raided on Saturday. Cops put up a metal screen around the Jones's house and neighbours claim police had had said they found explosives. Farroukh had moved out to nearby Staines. Forensic teams were also searching that address
Farroukh's neighbour Pat Hodge, 59, said: "He seems like a nice chap. Sometimes his family come down from Edinburgh, I think it's his brother and two nephews. They're all really lovely to talk to."
"It's frightening to think we've welcomed him to the neighbourhood and now he's been arrested over this terror thing."
CCTV EMERGES OF SUSPECT BOMBER
The arrest comes after CCTV footage that appears to show one of the suspects preparing for the London Tube bombing was screened on British TV.
The grainy footage shows a young man in a grey tracksuit carrying a bag that looks like the Lidl supermarket bag that contained the bomb.
ITV News, which screened the footage, said it was filmed near a house in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey, which was raided on the weekend.
The man, who does not look at the camera, can be seen carrying the bag at about 6.50am on Friday morning, less than two hours before the botched explosion on a packed rush hour train.
Less than two hours later, a device partially detonated on the London Underground's District Line, injuring some 30 people.
Cops swooped on the property in Sunbury-on-Thames yesterday after a teenager was arrested in Dover in connection with the attack.
The home belongs to Ron and Penny Jones who received an MBE in 2009 for fostering hundreds of kids. The respected couple are known for their work with refugee children, and reports have claimed the arrested suspect was an Iraqi teen.
The road remains cordoned off today as anti-terror cops continue to search the area after ordering people out of their homes in the dramatic raid yesterday.
Neighbours told how armed cops descended on the quiet residential street.
Steven Griffiths, 28, who lives opposite the elderly foster couple, said: "When I saw the blacked out van and the guns, I thought that this wasn't a little thing.
"Penny was telling the police with guns where stuff would be placed in her house.
"I said to my mum: 'They are going in to kill. This is something crazy.'
"We were at the windows and the police shouted up to us and said to please get away from the windows and I told her: 'It's a terror investigation.'
"Police with balaclavas were at our door telling us we had five minutes to pack up and leave."
The news comes after British police have raided another home in west London as they widen their search for the terrorists behind the train bombing.
Armed officers on Sunday surrounded a property in Stanwell, which is believed to be linked to the 21-year-old suspect who was arrested late on Saturday night.
Britain's official terrorist alert was lowered to the second highest level, suggesting police have disrupted the network behind the London bombing.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd said police had made "good progress" in the investigation after arresting two men suspected of involvement in the attack.
"Following the attack in Parsons Green last Friday the police have made good progress with what is an ongoing operation," Ms Rudd said.
"The joint terrorist analysis centre, which reviews the threat level that the UK is under, has decided to lower that level from critical to severe."
The "severe" level means another attack is highly likely but the higher "critical" level means an attack may be imminent.
SECOND MAN ARRESTED
British police have arrested two young men over the botched London train bomb that injured 30 people in a sign of a wider terrorist plot.
But authorities face pressure to reveal whether either of the suspects were on a watchlist before the atrocity, which is the fifth terrorist attack in the UK in just six months.
Police arrested a 21-year-old man in Hounslow, in outer west London, late on Saturday night, hours after they seized an 18-year-old man at Dover as he attempted to buy a ferry ticket to leave the country.
The two suspects were being interrogated in London overnight as Home Affairs Secretary Amber Rudd said the arrests suggested the attack was not the action of a "lone wolf".
Islamic State has claimed responsibility but Ms Rudd told BBC TV there was "no evidence" of the terrorist group's involvement.
The teenager, believed to be a refugee from the Middle East, is the key suspect in the attack that saw a homemade bucket bomb explode in a fireball on a crowded train on Friday morning.
Forensic investigators were yesterday searching the house of a pensioner couple who foster refugee children from countries including Syria and Iraq after arresting the 18-year-old.
Counter terrorism officers and special forces troops swooped on the house in Sunbury-on-Thames in Surrey on Saturday afternoon local time.
The terrace house is owned by Ronald and Penelope Jones, who have received honours from the Queen for fostering 268 children.
A neighbour of the foster parents said an 18-year-old man in their care had been arrested two weeks ago in Parsons Green - the same area where the bomb was planted.
"All I know is that they have two boys at the moment, both are foreign," neighbour Serena Barber said.
"One is very quiet and polite, the other, who is 18, is awful.
"I know about two weeks ago he was arrested by police at Parsons Green, for what I don't know, and returned back to Penny and Ron.
"After that Penny said she was going to have to stop caring for him, she couldn't handle him."
A woman told how the 18-year-old suspect's family preferred him to be living in a Muslim home.
The mum-of-two said: "Penny and Ron are lovely. To open your door to so many children shows you what they're like.
"I saw the boys, they were quiet. I asked the younger one if he wanted to come to my church to help settle in and meet people but he didn't want to come.
"His family are not happy he is with a Christian family."
Alison Griffiths, a Surrey county councillor who knows Mr and Mrs Jones described them as "great pillars of the community", according to The Sun.
Ms Griffiths, 42, said the couple may not be able to return home for days as police continue to search their house.
Mr Jones, 88, and Mrs Jones, 71, have reportedly helped Surrey County Council with its Syrian vulnerable persons relocation scheme. They were described by neighbours as "big hearted" people who had taken in many vulnerable children including refugees.
They were mentioned in a recent article about fostering, where they said they had taken eight children from war zones including Syria, Iraq and Eritrea.
Neighbours who were evacuated before the raid in Surrey have spoken of their shock at being rushed out by police.
Cavendish Road resident Alan Clarke said armed police had given him a matter of minutes to evacuate.
"I feel very shocked. It does make me feel unsafe to be honest," he said.
"I was asleep on the sofa when I heard a bang on the window and this armed police man all balaclavered up said 'please can you evacuate'."
More than six hours later, the homes remain vacant, with residents unsure when they will be permitted back inside.
Some families were permitted to return to their houses briefly, under police supervision, to retrieve pets who had been left on their own in the rush of the evacuation.
Police thanked the families of the small suburb for their patience while they carried out the "complex investigation" and said they hoped residents would be let back into their houses by the end of the night (Saturday night).
Mojgan Jamali lives on Cavendish Road, which was evacuated by police.
She told the Press Association that police gave her "one minute" to get her children and leave her home.
"I was in my house with my children and there was a knock at the door from the police," she said.
"They told me to leave. They said 'you have one minute to get out of the house and get away',
"I just got out, I got my three children and we left the house and the street. We didn't know what was going on".
Earlier, armed counter-terrorism police raided a home in Sunbury, Surrey, as part of the investigation into the London bombing.
About 80 officers were involved in the mass operation at about 1:40pm local time (10:40pm AEST) and a large number of houses surrounding the area have been evacuated.
Cordons were put in place in a 100 metre radius around the property.
"No further arrests have been made," police said.
The claim comes after Donald Trump suggested on Twitter in the hours after the attack that the "loser terrorist" had been "in the sights of Scotland Yard".
But Ms Rudd denied UK intelligence had been leaked to the US and dismissed Mr Trump's claim as "speculation".
Shocked residents were ordered out of their homes by balaclava-clad armed officers ahead of the raid the suburban region southwest of London.
A local woman described the moment she saw heavily armed police flood her street.
"I literally came out of my house and I saw three men," she told iTV.
"As I came out I saw the back of one and as he turned around I saw his gun and I immediately put my hands up".
Officers apprehended the teenager at 7.50am Saturday local time in Dover, where boats regularly leave for Calais and Dunkirk in France. The port area was evacuated as police conducted further sweeps of the area after the arrest.
Tourist Daniel Vaselicu who witnessed the arrest said the man appeared "normal, not fighting" as he spoke with police officers.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu described the arrest as "significant" but said the investigation was continuing and would "lead to more activity from our officers".
Police have not released further details about the man and are believed to be searching for accomplices, reportedly including a woman.
Across London, armed officers have been patrolling London's streets and security has been beefed up at major events including Premier League soccer matches after intelligence chiefs warned another attack may be imminent.
The developments came as London hospitals updated the number of people injured in the attack to 30. All but one of those injured have been discharged.
Most of the victims suffered burns after the homemade bomb detonated on a packed Tube as it pulled in to Parsons Greens station in southwest London during the Friday morning rush hour.
The crude device was stored in a bucket packed with shrapnel along with the explosive triacetone triperoxide, which is known as "Mother of Satan" because it so volatile.
Mass casualties would have been likely if the bomb had detonated properly.
London's terror threat level was downgraded from "critical" to "severe" after the attack.