Casino woman Diane Davis, 63, may require surgery for injuries she received when viciously assaulted outside her home on Tuesday night.
Casino woman Diane Davis, 63, may require surgery for injuries she received when viciously assaulted outside her home on Tuesday night.

Man gets bail for vicious assault

THE MAN allegedly responsible for viciously attacking a 63-year-old woman in Casino has been released on bail.

Diane Davis was assaulted at her home on Tuesday night when she went out to pick up a rubbish bin after it had been knocked over.

When Ms Davis asked a nearby male if he was responsible for knocking over her bin, she said he attacked her.

Ms Davis’s partner, Geoff Wischart, ran out of their home in defence of his partner and later ran back into the house to fetch a bull whip.

Mr Wischart said the attacker then assaulted Ms Davis, leaving her unconscious on the front lawn. He fought off the attacker with his whip.

Ms Davis suffered a broken nose,fractured eye socket and cheekbone and a black eye.

Police arrested an 18-year-old Casino man soon after the incident. He was later granted bail in the Lismore Local Court.

The man was charged with assault occasioning in actual bodily harm, destroy or damage property, common assault, enter enclosed lands and threaten injury to person with intent to commit indictable offence.

Police recommended to the court that bail be refused as they were concerned for the safety of the victim and feared the accused would not comply with any bail conditions imposed, as he had previously breached bail.

The accused suffers from a mental illness and is on a Community Treatment Order – a legal order imposed by a magistrate or Mental Health Review Tribunal for a person to accept mental health-related treatment. He was rel-eased on the condition he report to Casino police daily and resides with his aunt.

He is not to approach Mr Wischart or MsDavis, he is not to be absent from home between 9pm and 6am, and is only to be released into the care of his grandparents.

Mr Wischart was outraged to hear the man allegedly responsible for his long-term partner’s horrific injuries had been released on bail.

“She needs to have surgery done on her eye and on her cheek bone,” he said.

“She may never have full vision again.”

After being treated in Casino Hospital late on Tuesday, Ms Davis was transferred to Lismore Base Hospital.

She was moved to St Vincent’s Hospital in Lismore yesterday before returning home.

This year's Uncle's uncle

This year's Uncle's uncle

Uncle Project names uncle of the year

Hospital transformation begins

Hospital transformation begins

Asbestos clean up ahead of hospital sit re-make

Diving in deeper at Renew Fest

Diving in deeper at Renew Fest

Presenters and speakers wantewd for sustainability festival

Local Partners