'Sex attacker' osteopath in court
UPDATE: Following the conclusion of this trial on September 21, 2012 the jury found the man not guilty on all counts including three counts of aggravated sexual assault and two counts of aggravated indecent assault.
A NORTHERN Rivers osteopath has pleaded not guilty to sexually assaulting several of his female patients.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared in the Lismore District Court yesterday charged with three counts of aggravated sexual assault of a victim under his authority; and two counts of aggravated indecent assault of a victim under his authority.
The defendant appeared confident as he pleaded not guilty to having sexual intercourse without the consent of three of his patients between November 2009 and February 2010.
He also pleaded not guilty to committing an act of indecency in circumstances of aggravation on two patients in November 2009 and February 2010 respectively.
The Crown said there may be an application to change the venue of the hearing due to publicity surrounding the case.
The defence agreed that would be "very likely" and said an application would be made in the next two weeks.
He named Sydney as a possible venue for the trial as publicity of the case was quite wide.
But Judge Black said he thought the publicity did not reach as far as Grafton.
That is something we would look at, the defence confirmed.
Judge Black said it was desirable to "get this sorted out as soon as possible".
The matter will be mentioned in the District Court on July 19, when a hearing date will be set.
Bail was continued for the defendant.
The investigating officer, Detective Ashley Bryant, previously told The Northern Star the first complaint was made to police in February 2010.