Mullum Show is back and fired up for 102nd event
“I’m ecstatic,” said Sue Constable, now retired as show secretary after 24 years, who presided over last year’s one-day “Clayton’s show” when no committee could be found, and that of the show’s centenary in 2007 with its twin disasters of no horse events due to equine flu and a day of bucketing rain.
“We had been asking around for someone to come and take over,” said Sue.
"But everyone said no, they didn’t want to get involved, then a week ago a couple of people knocked on the door and said how can we get the show on the road – I nearly fell over.”
Tony Naclerio is now the new show president, and Desley Creighton secretary-treasurer, and with many new faces on the committee it’s full steam ahead to get the show on the road again.
“We just wanted to get the show going again,” explained Desley, “and someone had to put their hand up.”
And for Tony, his decision to get involved in what is bound to be a lot of work in the coming months came from not wanting to stand back and see the show die.
“The show has been good for the town,” he said, “and we need to see that the grounds are kept to be utilised for the kids.”
The new committee is very keen to involve the general public in the planning of the show, due to take place on the weekend of November 14 and 15, and welcomes any suggestions for fresh ideas.
Volunteers are also needed in a number of areas for the show itself, and the committee would love to hear from anyone who could assist the steward in both the sewing, art and craft section and the cooking section.
A catering supervisor is also needed.
The next committee meeting is at the Mullumbimby Ex-Services Club at 7pm today (Thursday) and any interested members of the community are invited to come along to share ideas.
“We want to get different things happening,” said Delsey, “and hope to build it up to something bigger.”
For further information, or to offer ideas or help, phone Delsey on 6684 2621.