More than 600 motorists caught without seatbelts at Easter
Over 600 people were caught not wearing seatbelts in NSW over the Easter period which saw two people killed on the state's roads.
The two week traffic blitz Operation Tortoise finished last night.
The number of people killed at Easter was down by three on the previous year.
There were 619 major crashes, down down 40 from last year, which resulted in 185 people being injured, again down 40 on last year.
NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander, Assistant Commissioner John Hartley said while most drivers did the right thing on the roads this Easter, some blatantly put others at risk.
"This long weekend we saw everything on our roads from drivers trying to evade breath-testing sites, to passengers not wearing seatbelts and drivers under the influence," Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
"It is astounding some motorists continue with this kind of behaviour when we have more police on the roads, not to mention double demerits.
"We are dedicated to driving down the road toll and the public can be assured we will continue to be out there this week as we get set for the Anzac Day holiday," Assistant Commissioner Hartley said.
- Over the five day operation, officers conducted 294421 breath tests and charged 369 people with drink-driving, while 623 infringements were issued for seatbelt offences.
- Police caught 5184 people allegedly speeding over the five day period, and issued 7418 other infringements.
Operation 'Go Slow,' the Anzac Day long weekend road campaign, starts at 12.01am on Thursday 24 April and continues until 11.59pm on Sunday 27 April 2014. Double demerits will be in force for speeding, seatbelt, and motorcycle helmet offences.