Man treated after accidentally poisoning himself

A MAN who accidentally poisoned himself while spraying cattle was treated in an emergency decontamination tent today outside Byron Bay Hospital.

Emergency services received a 000 call just after 9am this morning by a man already en route to Byron Bay Hospital who had exposed himself to possible organophosphates.

A HAZMAT unit from Goonellabah assisted by Byron Bay firefighters set up a decontamination tent outside the hospital for the man who arrived at about 11am.

A Fire and Rescue NSW spokeswoman said the man was suffering from the effects of organophosphate contamination, with symptoms including nausea and blurred vision.

The man had clothes removed and was washed down after having before being admitted to the hospital.

Agricultural pesticides are the most commonly used organophosphates and act as a neurotoxin, with both acute and long-term effects.


Mullum's big little music festival

Mullum's big little music festival

Its a music fan's dream this weekend in Mullumbimby.

Holiday housing hassle

Holiday housing hassle

Council seeks to control Airbnb in Byron

Doing this while driving will cost you 10 demerit points

Doing this while driving will cost you 10 demerit points

Police will be clamping down on this behaviour that costs lives

Local Partners