Man shot dead on Gold Coast 'rushed at police with knife'

Officers at the scene of a Gold Coast police shooting on Monday night. Photo: Aislin Kruikelis/Nine News
Officers at the scene of a Gold Coast police shooting on Monday night. Photo: Aislin Kruikelis/Nine News

UPDATE: A GOLD Coast man shot dead by police on Monday evening rushed at officers with a knife in the moments before he was killed, police say.

In similar circumstances to a fatal Sunshine Coast shooting on Sunday, police say they were defending themselves because they feared their lives were at risk.

It was the fourth fatal police shooting in South East Queensland since April, and the third in a week.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Steve Hollands said police were called to a disturbance on Nakina Street in Southport about 6.55pm on Monday.

He said it appeared that a man in his 30s was arguing with a woman, and when two dog squad officers told him to stop, the man turned on them.

"As consequence of that the male then came at the police officers with a knife. Police were then placed in a position where they had to use their firearms and as a consequence of that the male person is now deceased," Acting Assistant Commissioner Hollands said on Monday night.

More on this at

Southport street closed off after police shoot man with knife

Police on Tuesday remained at the scene.

Parts of Nakina Street are still closed which will affect drop-offs for students at the state school, special school and child care centre located in this street.

Police have implemented traffic control, turning a part of Nakina Street into a temporary, two-way street from the normal one-way street.

Parents and carers are asked to be patient and allow extra time for drop-offs.

No parking will be permitted in parts of Nakina Street to allow for traffic movements.

The shooting follows the death of a 51-year-old man at Tewantin on the Sunshine Coast on Sunday.

He was shot by police at close range after reportedly lunging at them with a steel pole or a knife.

There have now been six police shootings in south-east Queensland since April, four of them fatal.


Man shot dead by police on Gold Coast

QUEENSLAND police have been involved in the second fatal shooting of a man in a matter of two days after officers shot dead a man on the Gold Coast.

The Ethical Standards Command has commenced an investigation following the death of the man at Southport on Monday night.

The man died after officers attended a disturbance in Nakina Street just after 7pm.

Preliminary information indicates that police were confronted and threatened by an armed man before police discharged their firearms.

The man, believed to be aged in his 30s, was declared deceased at the scene.

The Gold Coast Bulletin reported the man was armed with a knife.

Police, the dog squad and the Rapid Action and Patrols Group were called in.

Reports suggest the man, who was allegedly wanted over an armed robbery, was shot in the driveway of a unit.

A witness on scene said police burst on to the scene yelling: "Get down, get down'', before several shots were heard.

Police are understood to have performed CPR at the scene, but the man died.

There were reports he had a cardiac arrest.

 Assistant Commissioner Steve Hollands told reporters that two dog squad officers were the first on scene and believed both officers fired their weapons.

The Ethical Standards Command investigation will be overviewed by the State Coroner and the Crime and Corruption Commission.

Revamped park claims a national award

Premium Content Revamped park claims a national award

“I AM thrilled because it recognises many, many months of hard work and...

Fatal shooting of inmate to be investigated

Premium Content Fatal shooting of inmate to be investigated

The coroner has raised questions about the evidence heard