A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay.
A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay. John Towells

Man hospitalised after legs caught fire

A MAN has been treated at Byron Bay Hospital after suffering burns to his lower legs while in the vicinity of a fire.

Police and ambulance personnel were called to Belongil Beach in Byron Bay at 1.30am last Thursday when a group of males attempted to light a fire on the beach, despite total fire bans.

One of the males threw some methylated spirits onto the flames as an accelerant, however some of the liquid splashed on the victims legs.

His legs subsequently caught fire and caused burns.

The victim and witnesses have indicated they are not willing to disclose who threw the spirits onto the fire.


Correction of a bit of a Furphy

Correction of a bit of a Furphy

Anzac Day correction of a furphy

Share some love with Mullum cottage

Share some love with Mullum cottage

Vote to supprt Mullumbimby Cottage

Spend money on veterans' health, not war memorials

Spend money on veterans' health, not war memorials

Former army chief calls for more mental health support for veterans

Local Partners