Menu
News

Man dies trying to eat cheeseburger in one mouthful

Darren Bray died in October 2015 Darren Bray/Twitte
Darren Bray died in October 2015 Darren Bray/Twitte

A man who tried to eat a cheeseburger in one mouthful choked to death, an inquest has heard.

Darren Bray, a father-of-three from Barry, died from an obstruction of the airways after a ball of food measuring 8cm by 5cm lodged in his throat.

The BBC reported that Dr Rhiannon Trefor told Cardiff Coroner's Court: "He would not have been able to breathe… with that in his airway."

Dr Trefor said Mr Bray would have died quickly, Wales Online reported.

The 29-year-old was at a friend's house in Barry in October 2015 when he tried to eat the burger, folded in half, from fast food restaurant McDonald's. He told his friends to "watch this" as he did so, the court heard.

But he started to choke and blacked out as he ate the 99p cheeseburger, the court heard.

Mr Bray had been out with friends before the incident took place. Although he had consumed alcohol, a toxicology exam showed it would not have been enough to affect his judgement.

Paramedics tried to remove the food and performed CPR on Mr Bray but he was pronounced dead at the scene, Wales Online reported.

A conclusion of death by misadventure was recorded by assistant coroner Christopher Woolley.

Topics:  choking death


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Soul act confirmed for this year's Bluesfest

Todd Michael 'Leon' Bridges is an American gospel and soul singer, songwriter and record producer from Fort Worth, Texas.

The festival just added a couple more names to the line up

Global media tracks solar train

WORLD NEWS: Byron Bay Railroad Company's rail safety manager, Geoff Clark is thrilled with the international media coverage the world's first totally solar-powered train.

Solar train shines in international media

Local Partners