Man, 83, clocked at 150kmh in road blitz
FOURTEEN drink-drivers have been nabbed by police during the long weekend's road safety operation on Coffs Coast roads.
Operation Stay Alert commenced at midnight on Thursday with double demerit points in place for all speeding, seatbelt and motorcycle helmet offences.
The operation had involved officers breath-testing drivers on major highways and roads as well as in suburban areas.
Coffs-Clarence Highway Patrol Acting Sergeant Tony Saunders said more than 3000 random breath tests had been conducted during the four-day safety operation.
The highest recorded reading in the Coffs-Clarence was a P1 driver stopped in Grafton.
A subsequent breath analysis returned an alleged reading of 0.108.
On Friday night, a 26-year-old male allegedly returned a reading of 0.098 in Boultwood St, Park Beach.
Acting Sergeant Tony Saunders said it was disappointing to see a high level of drink-driving offences recorded.
"These types of operations will continue to reinforce the message to all drivers to be responsible and not to put their lives and the lives of other road users at risk by ignoring the rules," he said.
Police also issued 33 speeding tickets, 48 other traffic infringement notices, and nine other traffic charges during the operation.
The highest recorded driver was an 83-year-old male who allegedly clocked speeds of 150kmh travelling northbound on the Pacific Hwy near Boambee East.
A 22-year-old male was also detected in Bonville allegedly clocking speeds of 124kmh.
The state's road toll for the long weekend period stood at two fatalities.