Local events on today and tomorrow
1. Old Time/ New Vogue Dance 7.30pm Ruthven Hall, Coraki Road. Admission $8 information, raffles, lucky door prize, dance prizes and supper ph 6683 2430 for more information.
2. Lismore City Library will host a free author talk by local author Tamaso to launch her new book The Missus at 10am at Lismore City Library 110 Magellan St. The Missus is the second in a in a trilogy that follows the development of a woman’s sexuality, from childhood ignorance to teenage shame and through thirty years of faithful marriage until leaving the marriage and blossoming into an independent life of freedom. Tamaso has been awarded prizes in several writing competitions and has had articles published in the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian Women’s Weekly, Woman’s Day and the New Idea. Some of her work has also been published in the United Kingdom and the United States of America. The author talk will be followed by Lismore’s Living Library. For further details contact Lismore City Library on 02 6621 2464.
3. U3A Friday Forum 10am, Lismore Workers Sports Club. Topic: Do people need to be told what to think? Ph 6624 3022 for further information.
4. The Neighbourhood Club 10am Lismore City Hall ph 6621 5642.
5. Free Walking Group for anyone 18 years and older 5.15 to 6.30pm Meet at corner Brewster and Uralba Sts across Lismore Square ph 6628 1822
6. Lismore after school care, 3pm-6.30pm, Lismore Public School, Pound St, for children 5-12 years. Afternoon tea supplied, ph 042 7458178.
7. Goonellabah Out of School Hours, 3pm-6pm, Goonellabah Public School Hall, ph 6624 4928.
8. War Widows Guild 10.30am C W A rooms Spinks Park Lismore ph 6621 4302.
9. Association of Independent Retirees Inc 9.30am Ballina R S L Club ph 6682 5445.(in Goonellabah RSL Sports Club (May & November)
10. Spinners & Weavers & Dyers Group 10am to 3pm McLeans Ridges hall McLeans Ridges ph 6624 2025 or 6629 1510.
11. NR Orchid Species Society 7.30pm East Lismore Public School. Plants benched ph 6624 2316.
12. NR 30’s Singles Social Club ph 6680 1489 or 6624 7474 for venue.
13. For Mums and babies in Casino who are having difficulties with feeding, unsettled behaviour and sleep, adjustment issues and postnatal distress 9am to 3pm Northern Rivers Family Care Centre outreach service in old Baby Health Centre 62 Simpson Parade (opp CWA hall) For referral see your GP or child and Family health nurse.
14. Ballina Alzheimers Support Group 10am Fox St Cottage c/n Fox & Moon Sts Ballina ph 6686 9829.
15. Community 4 Kids Playgroup 10.30am to 12.30pm Kalina Nursing Home Activities room, ph 6624 3311 or 6623 1602.
16. Sands Support Group 9.30am to 11am Child and Family Health Centre 37 Oliver Ave Goonellabah.
17. Lismore Living Library, come along and “borrow” a living book for a half hour from varied religious, social or ethnic backgrounds to people who have had interesting life experiences, 11am to 1pm ph 6621 2464 for more information.
1. Alstonville Public School Presents “Cinema under the Stars “ featuring “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” Rated G. Gates open 4.30pm, Tickets $5 per person. BYO picnic rug or low chairs only. Tickets available from Alstonville Public School office. Food, drinks, popcorn and ice cream available on the night. Come and enjoy a great family night out under the stars, ph 0428 834 860 for further information.
2. Bridge Club 12noon Italo Club North Lismore ph 6621 5334 for more information.
3. Lismore Toy Library, 9.30-11am, Lismore Town Library Magellan St
4. Op Shop Goonellabah, 9am-midday, ph 6624 1799.
5. Battlers Boutique Op Shop, 69 Union St, South Lismore, 9am-midday; also Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm. Proceeds to Westpac Lifesaver Helicopter.
6. Lismore Gem & Lapidary Club workshop 1pm to 4.30pm Arts & Crafts Pavilion Lismore Showground ph 6688 8280.
7. Rainbow Region Boat Club 7am Lake Ainsworth Lennox Head ph 6625 1180 or 0400 396573.
8. Backyard Gardening Workshop 9.30am to 3.30pm Learn how to turn your backyard into a productive vegetable garden using organic methods. Save money and eat more healthy. Call Donna on 6620 1800 for more information or to book a place in this workshop.
9. Summerland Bonsia Society 1.30pm to 4.30pm Uniting Church hall Keen St Lismore.
10. Far Nth Coast Branch Cake Decorators meet 9.30am at Sth Lismore Primary School Hall. This is a workshop. Please bring workbox and paste, also bring your packed lunch. ph 6686 2777,
11. Alstonville R S L Sub branch 9am R S L hall Bugden Ave ph 6628 0302.
12. Lismore & District Embroiders Group 9.30am to 3.30pm Red Dove Centre Keen St Lismore ph 6624 1102.
Sunday, May 9 (Mother's Day)
1. Lennox Community Markets held between the iconic 7 mile beach and tranquil Lake Ainsworth popular. There are 100 stalls selling a vibrant variety of products: including lots of fresh produce, yummy food, an amazing array of jewellery, clothing, home wares, crafts and plants. On site healers, cobblers, jewellery workshop and always entertaining great local buskers. Fundraiser for the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter, ph 6687 8618 for more information.
2. Alstonville Community Markets 8am to 12.30pm undercover in Apex Pavilion Alstonville ph 6628 1568.
3. Dragon Abreast Northern NSW 8am Lennox Head Sport & Recreation Centre ph 6624 5481 or 048 2223275 for more information.
4. Rainbow Region Boat Club 9am Lake Ainsworth , Lennox Head ph 6625 1180 or 0400 396573. for more information.
5. Summerland Amateur Radio Club, 1.30pm, Richmond Hill Rd, Goonellabah. Transmitting and test equipment, Internet facilities, ph 6624 3838 or 6621 8342.
6. Lismore City Library open 1pm to 4pm 110 Magellan St Lismore ph 6621 2464.
7. Casino Miniature Trains on old Queensland Road near Golf Club, 10am-4pm. $4.00 fare with free admission to museum. Mid-week group bookings welcome also, ph 6662 1924.
8. Northern Rivers Model Railroaders “Run Day” cnr McLean Ridges Road and Bruxner Highway Wollongbar ph 6624 7463.
9. Rainbow Region Spiritual Church Service 3pm Clunes old school site Walker St Clunes (opp Fire Station) ph 6629 1254.
10. Table Tennis- Social 9am to 12.30pm Lismore Workers Sports Club Goonellabah.
Monday, May 10
1. CWA Alstonville Biggest Morning Tea in aid of Cancer Council from 9.30am. Open to everyone. Craft and Chat as usual. Branch monthly Meeting 1pm at the RSL hall Bugden Ave Alstonville. Collection for May is knitting for the needy, ph 6628 5660 for more information.
2. U3A Computer User Group 10am Lismore Workers Club. Topic: Saving Sounds- vinyl records to computer. Visitors welcome, ph 6628 1348 for more information.
3. Ikebana International Lismore Chapter 32 morning tea 10.30am, meeting 11am at the home of Glenda Schofield, 1660 Dunoon Road Dunoon ph 6689 5284 for more information.
4. Brunswick Senior Citizens Indoor Bowls Club, 8.30am-midday, RSL Hall, Fawcett St, ph 6680 1059 or 6680 3537.
5. Indoor Bowls, 9.30am, $2 morning tea, take own lunch, prizes provided, McLeans Ridges Hall, ph 6628 0556 or 6628 3827.
6. DAISI (Disability and Aged Information Service Inc) on FNC of NSW, 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday, ph 1800 800 340.
7. Casino Family Support Service, 9am-4pm, Monday to Thursday, ph 6662 6792.
8. Mensline phone counselling service, ph 6622 2240, 7pm-11pm, every evening.
9. Lennox Heads C W A Branch 10am meeting Hoy 1.30pm.
10. Mid Richmond Vision Impaired Support Group 10.30am Evans Head R S L Club ph 6682 4838 or 6682 4988.
11. Brunswick Heads C W A Craft morning in C W A rooms.
12. Byron & District Orchid Society meeting 7.30pm Ewingsdale hall.
13. Gem & Lapidary Club monthly meeting 7.30pm Arts & Crafts Pavilion Showground Lismore ph 6688 8280.
14. For Mums with babies in the Ballina area who are having difficulties with feeding, unsettled behaviour and sleep, adjustment issues and postnatal distress . The Northern Rivers Family Care Centre outreach service is on today 9am to 3pm Room 21 Ballina Hospital. For referral, see your GP or Child & Family health nurse.
15. Bowel Cancer Support Group at Coffs Harbour ph 02 6569 5701.
16. Family Drug Support (F. D. S) 7pm to 9pm Guide hall Carlyle St Byron Bay (behind tennis courts) Non religious, open meetings for family members affected by drugs & alcohol. Open to anyone & providing opportunities to talk and listen to others in a non-judgmental, safe environment.ph 0427857092 or 6680 3369.
17. Ballina Climate Action Network (BCAN) 6pm Ballina Beach Resort Shaws Bay email: firstname.lastname@example.org
18. The monthly meeting of the Red Cross has been brought forward a week and now will be held today at Red Cross House, 132 Keen St, to begin at 2pm. All members are requested to attend, as new directions of Red Cross are to be discussed.