Large hail stones and strong winds about to strike
LARGE hail stones and strong winds are about to batter the Northern Rivers
The Bureau of Meteorology released a severe storm warning for the Northern Rivers Region at 3.30pm today.
The warning said severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones and damaging winds in the coming hours.
BOM observer Ashleigh Wilson said a low pressure trough was heading from inland to the coast.
"There's lighting activity in those storm cells that are building at the moment," she said.
"The storm will continue into the night."
At present the storm is over Uki but is edging closer to the coast.
She said to expect rain, hail, thunder and lighting.
An updated warning will be released at 6.30pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep clear of fallen power lines.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
Warnings are available through the BOM website at bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218.