Kay's delicious Lamb Shank Casserole
- 4 French-trimmed lamb shanks
- Plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium brown onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, slices
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 425g can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup oregano leaves
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 litre beef stock
- 300g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a pan over a high heat. Toss lamb in combined flour, salt and pepper.
- Shake away excess flour. Add lamb to the pan and cook until well browned all over.
- Drain lamb on absorbent paper.
- Heat remaining oil, cook the onion, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes or until soft but not coloured.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, pearl barley and beef stock, bring to the boil. Transfer lamb to an overproof dish.
- Cover tightly with lid or foil, bake for about 1 ½ hours or until lamb is tender and pulls away easily from the bone.
- Add beans and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve lamb with garlic mash.
Garlic mash ingredients:
- 5 medium potatoes peeled, chopped
- 4 whole cloves garlic
- 500ml chicken stock
Garlic mash method:
- Combine potatoes, garlic and stock in a large saucepan ( if potatoes are not covered, add a little water).
- Cover pan, bring to boil then simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Drain, reserving the stock.
- Mash potatoes and garlic to desired consistency, with 100ml reserved stock.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.