Media scrum chase scout leader

Ex-scout leader facing 129 child abuse charges

LATEST: A former Ipswich scout leader accused of child exploitation has had 103 new charges added to his name.

Brock Emil Dittman had already been charged in April with 26 child exploitation offences.

The original charges came about as a result of a covert operation run by the state's Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC).

CCC investigators and police from the Ipswich Child Protection Investigation Unit had searched his West Ipswich house.

During the search, the CCC seized cameras, computer equipment and electronic storage devices.

Mr Dittman was allegedly an active scout member at the time of the initial raid.

ON BAIL: Former Ipswich scout leader Brock Dittman is mobbed by reporters as he leaves Ipswich Magistrates Court. The 31-year-old has been accused of 129 child exploitation offences.
ON BAIL: Former Ipswich scout leader Brock Dittman is mobbed by reporters as he leaves Ipswich Magistrates Court. The 31-year-old has been accused of 129 child exploitation offences. David Nielsen

Since then, the CCC has spent months examining the seized items and allegedly found evidence of additional child exploitation offences.

As a result, the 31-year-old was brought into court yesterday to face 103 fresh charges.

The new offences include using a carriage service to make available child pornography material and indecent treatment of a child under 16.

Crown prosecutor Ryder Reid asked that all 129 charges be heard together.

The case was adjourned to December 16, to allow the CCC time to provide a full brief of evidence to prosecutors on the fresh allegations.

Outside court, Dittman refused to comment to waiting reporters on the charges against him as he made a hasty exit.

Dittman didn't even speak when he fell over next to a media scrum while trying to get into the car.

In a statement on Facebook yesterday, Scouts Queensland said Dittman was immediately suspended in April when police informed them of the charges.

The organisation wrote it had been made aware of the additional child exploitation charges and was "extremely disturbed and saddened" by the news.

"We have not been advised whether any of the charges are in relation to Scout youth members," the statement read.

Scouts Queensland said it had a "zero tolerance" policy towards abuse.

A FORMER Ipswich scout leader accused of 129 child exploitation offences was granted bail at Ipswich Magistrates Court today. Photo: Chris Owen / The Queensland Times
A FORMER Ipswich scout leader accused of 129 child exploitation offences was granted bail at Ipswich Magistrates Court today. Photo: Chris Owen / The Queensland Times Chris Owen

 

UPDATE WEDNESDAY: A former Ipswich scout leader, who is facing 129 child exploitation offences, has been granted bail.

At Ipswich Magistrates Court today, the 30-year-old West Ipswich man had 103 child exploitation charges added to the 26 existing child exploitation offences he received in April.

The fresh charges were a result of ongoing investigations by the Crime and Corruption Commission.

The man was granted bail under strict conditions.

The case was adjourned for a committal mention on December 16.

A former Ipswich scout leader, who is facing 129 child exploitation offences, is pursued by a media scrum after being granted bail at Ipswich Magistrates Court.
A former Ipswich scout leader, who is facing 129 child exploitation offences, is pursued by a media scrum after being granted bail at Ipswich Magistrates Court.

 

EARLIER: A former Ipswich scout leader is facing an additional 103 child exploitation charges as a result of ongoing investigations by the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) and the Queensland Police Service (QPS).

In April, the then 30-year-old West Ipswich man was charged with 26 child exploitation offences, after CCC investigators and officers from the QPS Ipswich Child Protection Investigation Unit searched a property in West Ipswich.

During the search, the CCC seized cameras, computer equipment and electronic storage devices.

Since this time, the CCC has forensically examined the seized items and has allegedly found evidence of additional child exploitation offences.

As a result of the ongoing investigation, the man was issued with a notice to appear in the Ipswich Magistrates Court on the following additional charges:

  • 98 x Use a carriage service to make available child pornography material, contrary to section 474.19(1)(a)(iii)&(aa)(b) of the Criminal Code (Commonwealth)
  • One x aggravated networking, contrary to section 474.24A Criminal Code (Commonwealth)
  • Four indecent treatment of a child under 16, contrary to section 210(1)(a) Criminal Code (Qld)

The man - who is now 31 years old - is scheduled to appear in court to face all 129 charges today.

The investigation remains ongoing.


'It's laughable': Eliminated Byron bachelorette hits back

'It's laughable': Eliminated Byron bachelorette hits back

Jamie-Lee on life after The Bachelor, her relationship with Brooke.

LETTER: Call to close nude beach due to Queensland sex pests

LETTER: Call to close nude beach due to Queensland sex pests

Call to kill off clothing optional beach.

Local Partners