An inquest will start today into the death of Summer Steer who swallowed a button battery in 2013.
An inquest will start today into the death of Summer Steer who swallowed a button battery in 2013. CONTRIBUTED

Summer's mum first to give evidence in battery death inquest

UPDATE 10AM: 

SUMMER Steer's mother, Andrea Shoesmith is likely to provide evidence fist in the coronial inquest into her daughter's death.

A composed Ms Shorsmith was flanked by a few close family members as she took her seat in the Maroochydore Court.

Andrea Shoesmith of Tewantin, whose daughter Summer died after swallowing a button battery, at a press conference at Noosa Marina for the Safety 4 Chrissy campaign highlighting the dangers of button batteries should children swallow them. Photo: Iain Curry / Sunshine Coast Daily
Andrea Shoesmith of Tewantin, whose daughter Summer died after swallowing a button battery, at a press conference at Noosa Marina for the Safety 4 Chrissy campaign highlighting the dangers of button batteries should children swallow them. Photo: Iain Curry / Sunshine Coast Daily Iain Curry

Coroner John Hutton is expected to hear evidence for two days as to the circumstances behind Summer's tragic death on June 30, 2013 after ingesting a button battery.

Mr Hutton will examine the cause of Summer's death, the adequacy of the clinical diagnosis and medical treatment as well as what measures can be taken to ensure it never happens again.

Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.
Summer Steer, 4, died after swallowing a button-sized battery.

 

EARLIER: 

SUMMER Steer was the first child in Australia to die from swallowing a lithium battery.

A coronial inquest in the Maroochydore Magistrate's Court today will begin to explore what went wrong.

Little Summer, died on June 30,2013 after a "button" battery - no bigger than a five-cent piece - lodged in her oesophagus.

RELATED:

She was taken to Noosa Hospital three times with symptoms including a sore stomach, black bowel movements and a tempreture.

An x-ray later discovered the battery lodged in her throat and she was flown to a Brisbane hospital.

It was too late.  She went into a cardiac arrest and died.

Seven people are expected to testify in the inquest, including Summer's mum Andrea Shoesmith.

A pre-inquest hearing has revealed around 260 children swallow lithium batteries each year.


REVEALED: How much the gaming industry is profiting

Premium Content REVEALED: How much the gaming industry is profiting

Here’s a breakdown on how many machines are on the Northern Rivers and how much...

Jab now a sore point for a PM under fire

Premium Content Jab now a sore point for a PM under fire

The Prime Minister has been forced to defend the slow vax rollout

Rising star to headline Lismore Youth Festival

Premium Content Rising star to headline Lismore Youth Festival

The free festival will take place across multiple venues in Lismore on April 14, 15...