Rafael Nadal’s injury woes to continue.
Rafael Nadal’s injury woes to continue.

Rafa’s massive No.1 blow as injury strikes again

WORLD No.2 Rafael Nadal has pulled out of this week's Mexican Open, cutting short his comeback from a hip injury when the problem flared up again.

"My goal and hope was to play in this tournament. Unfortunately, in my last training session yesterday, I felt a sharp pain in my leg again," said the 31-year-old Spanish star, hours before what was to have been his opening match at the ATP event in Acapulco.

The withdrawal means Nadal misses the chance to reclaim the world No.1 ranking from Roger Federer this week.

Nadal, the favourite to win the tournament, had been due to face fellow Spaiard Feliciano Lopez.

"I took all the appropriate steps to arrive at he tournament in form. I went Cozumel first, to adapt (to the climate). But yesterday in my last training session before the tournament, during one movement I felt a sharp pain again in the same area where I had the problem in Australia," he said.

Rafael Nadal receives treatment during the Australian Open. Pic: Michael Klein
Rafael Nadal receives treatment during the Australian Open. Pic: Michael Klein

Nadal limped out of the Australian Open on January 23.

He has since lost the top ranking to Federer.

Nadal said doctors in Mexico warned him not to play for fear of aggravating the injury.

"I still don't know what it is, because we don't know. It seems it's not as bad as what I had at the Australian Open," he said.

'Now my main goal is to find out the extent of the injury."


Solar gardens light the way to sustainabilty

Solar gardens light the way to sustainabilty

LABOUR backs Enova's solar garden project

Digging up our future stars

Digging up our future stars

Local bands battle it out in Mullumbimby

New stars shine at BK Classic

New stars shine at BK Classic

Double surf celebration for Lennox teenager

Local Partners