A HOMELESS man who was universally slammed for leaving his dog in a hot car in Perth has apologised and attempted to explain his side of the story.
The frantic efforts of passers-by were caught on camera yesterday as they attempted to save the bull mastiff's life.
Two people, one of which is a trainee vet nurse, were filmed carrying the 40kg dog out of the hot sun and attempting to revive him.
Nicci, the trainee vet who performed CPR on Bully the dog, explained the ordeal he went through before his death.
"He was just lying there, fitting, foaming at the mouth. There was blood coming from his mouth," she said.
"He was such a big dog I just didn't have the lung capacity to even do much, but I tried."
According to a woman who tried to save the dog, Amy Middleton, he had been left in a Holden Astra in Balga, near Perth for hours yesterday.
She said the group of have-a-go heroes banded together after noticing the animal locked in the small car with a chain around its neck.
The homeless man, who did not give his name, apologised on camera yesterday afternoon and sobbed to reporters.
"I'm sorry," the man said, before bursting into tears.
"He was very loyal to me. I didn't think it was real, I just thought to myself, 'What else? What more?'
"If I could take it back, I would," he said.
The Perth man told reporters he had become homeless and was living in his car.
He lost his home not long after the death of his teenage son, who died of cystic fibrosis.
He had left Bully in the car on Thursday afternoon to try and find the pair a new home but because the car's battery was dead he couldn't wind down the windows to keep Bully cool.
Just before 2pm yesterday, when Bully was found, the mercury in Perth had hit 27C but due to the high humidity, the temperature felt much higher.
In heat like that, dogs can die in less than 10 minutes.
"It's not quick, it's not just like they die. It's this long period of them trying to survive and not being able to because they're in this hot room that they can't escape," Nicci told 9 News.
Local pet community Facebook page, Perth Pets in Need, posted about the incident, saying the dog suffered two seizures and threw up before he died a slow, painful death.
"Like all dogs who get heatstroke, he suffered horrendously," a spokeswoman for the group wrote in the statement.
"There is absolutely no excuse for locking your dog in any car with no windows down at any time of the year, but particularly not on a humid summer's day.
"Huge thank to those who tried to save this beautiful boy. We are so glad that you were there to bring this poor dog some relief in his final moments on this Earth. Our thoughts are with you and this darling furbaby."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.