Grants for youth projects
Byron Council and the Byron Shire Youth Council are offering five small grants of up to $1000 for young people to create and deliver programs, activities and events in the Byron Shire.
The Youth Council Small Change Community Chest Grants project priorities identified:
* More events for young people in the shire.
* Projects that create a positive image of young people and breakdown the existing negative stereotypes in the community.
* Creating opportunities for increased participation of young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the community.
* Creating opportunities for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) young people to address homophobia in the community.
* Increasing young people’s awareness of social justice and environmental issues.
“It’s very exciting to be launching the project,” Byron Shire Youth Council member Angeline Daniels said.
“We have been working on the grant priorities, selection criteria and developing the application form and poster.
“I am really looking forward to seeing all the grant applications, though it’s going to be hard work on the selection panel to choose the successful five projects,” Ms Daniels said.
Another Youth Council member Justin Fenwick said the Small Change Community Chest Grants were by young people for young people.
Youth Council member Cara Maku said the aim was to provide other young people with some resources to make things happen.
“We are keen to showcase the amazing things young people can do when given the opportunity,” she said.
Applicants must be aged between 12 and 25 years of age, live in the Byron Shire, provide at least two written references from non-family members and propose drug and alcohol-free, not-for-profit projects, workshops, programs, activities or events that promote a positive image of young people in the shire.
Applications close Friday, February 4.
To download the application form, go to http://www.byron.nsw.gov.au/committees/youth-council or contact Belle Arnold on 6626 7225 or email@example.com.