Menu
News

Govt sends out flood payments

QUEENSLANDERS affected by the recent devastating floods are now receiving one-off emergency payments in the first round of relief funding to be distributed from the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal.

The chair of the committee responsible for the distribution of appeal funds, Dr David Hamill, said 814 applicants had received funds totalling $1.886 million since the first payments were made to applicants from January 31.

"An additional 715 applications have been verified and eligible applicants should receive these payments within 48 hours," he said.

"We have received approximately 12,000 applications and we are working hard to process these as quickly as possible.

"This money has been generously donated and it is important that we are diligent in our payments and work hard to make sure it goes to those in need.

"Multiple methods of verification have been used to assess applications, including rapid damage assessment reports from the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service, and information from the Department of Communities and local councils.

"Non-means-tested payments of $2000 per adult and $1000 per child are being made once it is established that floodwater went beyond the level of the floor in the living spaces of the applicant's principal place of residence.

"When this emergency assistance round was announced I stated that 'it was anticipated that the first payments on straightforward applications would commence within 10 business days from the receipt of application'"

"I am pleased to report that payments were made only six business days after the commencement of the round," Dr Hamill said.

The Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal has also been extended to cover victims of Tropical Cyclone Yasi. Application forms and criteria for those affected residents will be released soon. The appeal has raised more than $210 million.

"It's a long road to recovery, and I urge everyone to keep donating to the appeal, which will help thousands of Queenslanders affected by one of the worst natural disasters in our history."

More information:

People wishing to apply for a payment should call 180 22 66. Application forms are also available online at www.qld.gov.au/floods.

To donate to the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal:

Donations can be made in person at any Queensland branch of the Bank of Queensland (BoQ), Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, ANZ, NAB, Suncorp, St George Bank, Bank West and Bank SA. Cheques can be made out to the Premiers' Disaster Relief Appeal.

Donors can contact the Queensland Government 24 hours a day on freecall 1800 219 028 with their credit card details.

Donations can also be made on the Queensland Government website, www.qld.gov.au/floods.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Boat Harbour plans on display

SAFE HARBOUR: The draft plan for the upgrade to Brunswick Heads Boat Harbour

Brunswick Heads Boat Harbour plans on display

Kesha cancels Bluesfest performance

NO SHOWS: Kesha performing Praying at the 60th annual Grammy Awards in January. She injured herself earlier this month and has had to cancel her Australia and New Zealand tours, as well as her performance at Byron Bay Bluesfest.

Kesha will no longer be headlining Bluesfest 2018

It's apple season at the markets

MARKETS: High in fibre, vitamin c and antioxidants, it's no wonder apples have a reputation for keeping the doctor away.

She's all apples at local farmers markets.

Local Partners