Three people have been bitten by snakes in separate incidents, including a girl, 8, who was bitten when she went to open the fridge
Three people have been bitten by snakes in separate incidents, including a girl, 8, who was bitten when she went to open the fridge

Girl bitten by snake as she opened fridge

THREE people have been treated after being bitten by snakes in separate incidents across the NT overnight.

An 8-year-old girl was bitten by a snake which slithered out from underneath a fridge when she went to open it.

St John Ambulance's Craig Garraway said the girl's parents were able to catch the snake and take it with them to the hospital.

In Tennant Creek a 45-year-old man had a snake wrap around his leg and bite him.

Mr Garraway said the man was shocked and became unwell.

"Paramedics have treated him and taken him up to the Tennant Creek Hospital and he was receiving treatment last night as well," he said.

In Nightcliff late last night paramedics were called to treat a 25-year-old man who was bitten by a snake.

He was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital for monitoring as it was not clear what type of snake was involved.

judith.aisthorpe@news.com.au

Originally published as Girl, 8, bitten by snake as she opened fridge


Blue-green algae blooms to red alert at Tweed

Premium Content Blue-green algae blooms to red alert at Tweed

Council has issued a red alert for blue-green algae following its latest water test...

Red alert for blue-green algae still in place at popular dam

Premium Content Red alert for blue-green algae still in place at popular dam

The species of blue-green algae identified is potentially toxic, and may cause...

‘I couldn’t have found a better job’: Life changing turnaround

Premium Content ‘I couldn’t have found a better job’: Life changing...

Help from a disability employment service provider was enough for the local...