Josh Park-Fing and his mother Jenny Fing
Josh Park-Fing and his mother Jenny Fing Contributed

Dole worker death report delayed again

A FEDERAL government report into the death of a teenager on a work for the dole site more than two years ago will not be released until the matter is resolved in a Queensland court.

Josh Park-Fing, 18, died from a head injury in April 2016 when he fell from a trailer at the Toowoomba Showgrounds in April.

But the government isn't releasing details of an internal review until a magistrate rules on the case.

Jobs department officials told a Senate estimates hearing on Tuesday provider Neato Employment was still being used by the government, but had been "limited" from running work for the dole programs.

The department's Martin Hehir said penalties had been imposed on the company.

"We've also retained the right to undertake or impose further penalties depending on the outcome of the Toowoomba Magistrates Court," Mr Hehir said.

Jobs Minister Michaelia Cash expressed sympathy for Mr Park-Fing's family, but said it was a matter for the Queensland government and the court.

Greens senator Lee Rhiannon asked Senator Cash if the delay was acceptable.

"Are you seriously saying you haven't considered any way that such a delay could be avoided in the future?" Senator Rhiannon said.

The minister said once legal proceedings finished, the report would be released, but in the meantime the government was determined not to prejudice the case.

Since the death, no new projects have been given to the Royal Agricultural Society of Queensland and the Toowoomba Showgrounds program was ended.

One of the cases over the death is due back in Toowoomba Magistrates Court on June 22.

-AAP

News Corp Australia

Byron Beez step up to play for the state

Byron Beez step up to play for the state

Beez bounce into NSW country team

3 things you wouldn't expect at a seniors expo

3 things you wouldn't expect at a seniors expo

Looking for non-traditional after-death care? Look no further