Fight to name Daniel accused
5.15PM UPDATE: MEDIA outlets will tomorrow make a legal bid to have a suppression order over the Daniel Morcombe accused lifted.
State Coroner Michael Barnes will consider submissions tomorrow in relation to an application to revoke the non-publication order issued during the inquest into the suspected death of Daniel Morcombe.
During the inquest, Mr Barnes made an order prohibiting the publication of the name, or any information likely to identify, a witness appearing at the inquest.
Today an application was received from lawyers representing a number of media organisations seeking the revocation of the non-publication order in relation to the person.
The hearing will be conducted in the Brisbane Magistrates Court at 4pm in Court 4.
The development comes after a father of three and former Sunshine Coast truck driver appeared in court this morning.
The man is charged over the abduction and murder of Daniel Morcombe will fight the charges and seek bail, his lawyer said today.
The 41-year-old was brought into a Brisbane courtroom today to hear the charges which include murder, deprivation of liberty, child stealing, indecent treatment of a child under 16 and interfering with a corpse.
Daniel's lawyer speaks outside court
Heavy security surrounded the brief 9am appearance which was attended by about 30 media representatives, detectives and special security police.
The man, who cannot be named at this stage because he is facing child sex offences, was remanded in custody to appear in court on September 26.
He was dressed in jeans, a blue t-shirt and a watchhouse issue jumper and sat barefoot facing away from the public gallery.
His lawyer Tim Meehan said his client would be vigorously defending the charges and would be seeking bail in the Supreme Court.
"He will defend the charges and his instructions are to make a bail application,'' Mr Meehan said.
Mr Meehan said his client was doing all right given the circumstances.
He was keen to have him transferred out of the watchouse as soon as possible and taken to the Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre.
Case could take years, say Bruce and Denise Morcombe
BRUCE and Denise Morcombe say it could take years for the man accused of abducting and murdering their son to go through the judicial system.
But they have urged people to let justice take its course amid warnings that Facebook postings and irresponsible media coverage could jeopardise any successful prosecution.
A 41-year-old father of three, originally from Perth, will face a packed courtroom in Brisbane this morning.
The man is expected to fight the charges which include murder, deprivation of liberty, child stealing, indecent treatment of a child under 16 and interfering with a corpse.
While the Daily knows the identity of the man his name cannot be published because of an earlier suppression order at the coronial inquest into Daniel Morcombe's disappearance.
The man has repeatedly denied any involvement during police interviews and evidence at the inquest.
The Morcombes told media yesterday that they did not plan to attend today's court hearing which is expected to be brief.
The suspect cannot apply for bail and is expected to be remanded in custody for a future court hearing which could either be in Brisbane and on the Sunshine Coast.
Any application for bail would have to be made through the Supreme Court as a magistrate is unable to grant bail in a murder case.
The man, who was being held in Brisbane, is expected to stay at the Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre until his next appearance.
The weekend arrest follows the biggest missing person investigation in Queensland's history with 10,000 people interviewed.
Mr Morcombe said he believed the recent coronial inquest was crucial in bringing new evidence to light.
Since then, he said police had worked with great resolve.
"There has been an enormous amount of work in the four months since that person gave evidence,'' he said.
Mr Morcombe said that while police had been thwarted by false leads from the criminal element he said leads from the public had been welcomed.
"The public have been absolutely extraordinary.
"We are really appreciative of the work of the police but also the media in keeping this at the forefront.'
He downplayed suggestions that the breakthrough would not have come without his family's efforts.
"I like to think that it has been a team effort.'
"We have said right from day one the person responsible has picked on the wrong family.''