Convicted rapist could be headed for Coffs on release

A SADISTIC rapist who preyed on elderly women is expected to apply for permission to return to the Mid North Coast following his release from a Queensland jail today.

At 45-years of age, the longest period Troy Jerome has spent as a free man is two years.

A Brisbane court heard Jerome began offending in the Taree/Coffs Harbour area at a "very young age".

After being sentenced for a series of offences including assault and maliciously setting fire to a building with intent to injure, Jerome escaped custody and received another six months to his sentence in the Coffs Harbour District Court.

In 1993 he was sentenced in a Brisbane court for attacking a 72-year-old woman in her flat.

The court heard that one night, when Jerome was 29, a victim who was known to him, arrived home to find him standing in her bedroom naked, with an erect penis.

When she told him to go and "have a sleep" Jerome reappeared in her lounge room wearing socks on his hands.

He locked the front door, grabbed the victim, put his fingers inside her mouth "when she tried to scream" and dragged her to a bedroom where he removed the light bulb and attempted to rape her.

When she went to the kitchen to "get a glass of water" the victim attempted to grab a knife but Jerome "threw her to the kitchen floor, took her to the bedroom and forced her to engage in oral sex".

Eventually the woman began haemorrhaging, told him she was going to be sick and that if he put the light back on she would co-operate.

When he walked away she ran to a neighbour for help.

While on parole for those offences Jerome was arrested for the rape of another elderly woman.

The court heard that on that occasion he had been fighting with his wife and had become "so aggressive that his wife called police who escorted her from the house".

Later that day, he went to the home of a 65-year-old Aboriginal woman, who had been diagnosed with mild dementia.

With socks on his hands once again and "a towel to ejaculate into", Jerome turned off the power board, removed most of his clothes and entered the home through a bathroom window.

He startled the victim in her bed "covered her mouth to stop her from screaming", raped her, used the towel and fled.

He was charged with break and enter, two counts of aggravated assault and rape and in 1997 received a 14 year jail sentence.

During his time in custody he was charged with the assault of four fellow inmates and making threats against staff.

Five breaches are recorded on his custodial file.

One psychologist report tabled in court describes Jerome's childhood as being "characterised by exposure to violence and being a victim of sexual abuse".

Another report warns it is "unclear" to what extent Jerome would co-operate with a supervision order in the community as he "would prefer to be moving to New South Wales" to live near his (family) and that there may be a "certain degree of rebelliousness in regard to (an order) that kept him in Queensland".

APN Newsdesk understands the family members referred to in the report, still reside on the Coffs Harbour region.

Justice J Daubney imposed 34 parole conditions on Jerome which include not leaving Queensland without the permission of a corrective services officer, attending counselling and submitting to random drug and alcohol tests.

The supervision order will remain in place for five years.

Birth of single malt whisky documented on new film

Premium Content Birth of single malt whisky documented on new film

A Northern Rivers distillery will hold a tasting and screening of The Water of...

25 fireys needed to put out blaze at recycling plant

Premium Content 25 fireys needed to put out blaze at recycling plant

On route fire crews noticed large volumes of smoke.

Scenic wedding venue operating for years without approval

Premium Content Scenic wedding venue operating for years without approval

The owners are meanwhile proposing glamping facilities