Coal CEO shares $2.7b mining plan
ANGLO American will deliver a $20million infrastructure fund and 2000 jobs in Moranbah as part of a $2.7billion growth plan for the town, including two new underground mines.
The mining giant's global chief executive officer – and one of the most powerful women in the world – Cynthia Carroll, right, announced the plans in Moranbah last night and will today fly to Canberra to discuss her concerns about carbon pricing with Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Ms Carroll spoke candidly about her concerns surrounding the government's plans to tax carbon and said she would push for a “more manageable” approach during her meeting with Ms Gillard.
She also talked about the importance of providing miners with a choice in accommodation and her preference for employees to live close to operations, rather than flying in for work.
Anglo yesterday committed to building more than 50 units and houses to support the increase in employee numbers in Moranbah.
The company also promised to provide funding for training facilities, education programs, cultural facilities, accommodation and public multi-use buildings from its $20million Moranbah 2020 Fund.
Ms Carroll said Moranbah made up a significant portion of Anglo's future investment in Australia with two underground longwall mines – Grosvenor and Moranbah South – to be developed over the next 10 years.
“Anglo American is committed to the long-term sustainable growth of Moranbah and we wish to partner with the local council and the community to achieve this goal,” she said. “Implementation of the fund is subject to government approval for our Grosvenor and Moranbah South projects, with funding staged to meet the project development phases.
“We will partner with the Isaac Regional Council to put the fund in place, identify key projects and plan how they will be delivered.”
Anglo plans to offer two funding rounds a year from 2012 and has earmarked 80% to be used for strategic infrastructure projects and the remaining 20% for community initiatives.
Ms Carroll said the strategy would also provide Anglo employees accommodation options.
“We are committed to providing our employees with a choice of accommodation options that best suit their personal circumstances, including permanent housing in the Moranbah community,” she said. “We really support having our employees living around our operations
“We currently offer $65,000 cash incentives to existing employees wishing to build or buy in Moranbah and surrounding areas and will also build more than 50 new units and houses in the town, subject to Government approval of our planned project.”