A 28-YEAR-OLD man faces a possible jail term for a “cowardly” attack in which he punched and kicked a young boy because the four-and-a-half-year-old was talking at bedtime.
The man, who cannot be named, appeared for sentencing in the Rockhampton District Court yesterday after pleading guilty to a charge of assault occasioning bodily harm for the attack on the child.
Judge John Newton adjourned sentencing until next Thursday so he could be supplied with evidence of the man’s mental state.
Crown prosecutor Joshua Phillips said the man was in a relationship with the boy’s mother on April 8, 2007, when the assault occurred.
He had been watching television with the child and his former partner when he sent the boy to bed and told him not to talk to his brother.
When he heard the child speaking he went into the bedroom and told him to go to the lounge and put his hands on his head.
He then repeatedly asked the boy why he talked to his brother and when not satisfied with the answer backhanded the boy and then punched and kicked him.
The boy received bruising to the left side of his face, a bleeding nose and suffered from irregular breathing.
The mother reported the attack a few days later to police.
Mr Phillips said the assault “demonstrates real cowardice” and asked for a sentence of 18 months in prison.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.