Chemical stash raises alarm in Byron Bay
NSW Fire Brigade's HazMat unit was called to a housing commission residence in Gordon Street Byron Bay this afternoon after a cleaner found a stash of chemicals and raised an alarm.
The home's occupant had recently passed away and when a cleaner was employed to spruce thing up the quantity of exotic-sounding thinning agents aroused suspicion.
Chemicals included methyl benzene, formic acid, ethyl acetate, glycerine and a petroleum-based solvent.
Fire crews responded to the clean up wearing safety suits and spent several hours at the scene.