Cashless welfare to stay

Minister for Human Services, Alan Tudge.
Minister for Human Services, Alan Tudge. AAP Image

THE trial run of a cashless welfare card is being hailed as a success despite reports some card holders turned to prostitution.

The Turnbull government has welcomed an audit that found the year-long trials in Ceduna and the East Kimberley have greatly reduced rates of substance abuse and gambling.

Cashless welfare will now be in place permanently in the regions, subject to six-monthly reviews.

The report by ORIMA Research released yesterday shows some recipients have found ways to get cash despite the system.

Recipients get 80% of their welfare payment on a debit card that can't be used to buy alcohol or gamble. The other 20% goes into their bank.

Human Services Minister Alan Tudge (pictured) said the card was no cure-all but had led to local improvements.

Claire Bickers

Topics:  alan tudge cashless welfare card

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Country Club becomes the centre of power

GENERATION: Nationals Parliamentary Secretary for Renewable Energy Ben Franklin, presenting the funding to the Club - General Manager Andrew Spice, Golf Director Ian Wingad, Chairman Peter Tomaros, Treasurer Anne Slater, and Director Tony Dahl.

Grant to Shore emergency centre

An evening of Muslim Sufi music with Tahir Qawwal

LOCAL: Canadian-born Tahir Qawwal.

Qawwali is a form of Sufi devotional music from Pakistan and India

Beauty and the Beast as a ballet

TROUPE: Dancers Elise Jacques and William Douglas.

By the Victorian State Ballet

Local Partners