Mackay boy sustains injuries from homemade explosive
POLICE are urging people to be aware of the consequences of homemade explosive devices after an explosion has left a 14-year-old boy in the Mackay Base Hospital with serious injuries.
Around 3pm Sunday, police were advised of the explosion at a Milton Street residence.
It's believed two boys had constructed two small devices from items used for parties.
"We believe it was made from caps from a cap gun, sparklers and insulation tape," Mackay police inspector Andy Graham said.
One of the devices exploded, leaving the 14-year-old boy with severe hand injuries and non-life threatening throat and chest injuries.
The boy is currently receiving treatment at a Brisbane hospital.
The police spokesman said they want to make the community aware of the consequences.
"People need to be aware that we don't want anyone experimenting with these types of things due to the consequences that can take place," he said.
''They were wrapping up some low-level explosive material into insulation tape with a view to throwing it on the ground and creating that explosion,'' police Inspector Andy Graham told 612 ABC Brisbane.
''Even though it is low-level stuff and it's readily available around the household it can have catastrophic results.''
Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.