Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev says sorry, faces death
DZHOKHAR Tsarnaev has apologized to the victims and survivors of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing before he officially was sentenced to death.
"I am sorry for the lives I have taken, for the suffering that I have caused you, for the damage I have done, irreparable damage," he said in court.
Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev: "I am guilty of the bombing, let there be no lingering question about that."— Independent US (@IndyUSA) June 24, 2015
Tsarnaev's comments came immediately before Judge George O'Toole sentenced him to death and after many victims and survivors addressed him in court.
Judge, to #Tsarnaev: no one will mention that your teachers liked you, or you were a good athlete..you murdered and maimed innocent people.— Carl Stevens (@carlwbz) June 24, 2015
"It was monstrous self deception," Mr O'Toole said to Tsarnaev as he sentenced him to death. "To accomplish it, you had to forget your own humanity."
A Boston jury last month said Tsarnaev should be put to death for his role in setting off bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013.
Tsarnaev had previously been found guilty on all 30 charges he faced, 17 of which could bring the death penalty. In the sentencing phase, the same jury had to decide whether to sentence Tsarnaev to death or to send him to prison for the rest of his life.
Three people were killed in the 2013 bombing and more than 260 were injured.
After the bombing, a subsequent manhunt shut down Boston and grabbed the nation's attention. Tsarnaev eventually was found bloody inside a boat in the backyard of a residential neighbourhood.