Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell says huge contract offers in excess of $1 million are scary propositions for clubs.
The AFL season has been dominated with stories of monster deals, with Richmond's Dustin Martin and Greater Western Sydney's Josh Kelly leading the way.
North Melbourne has reportedly offered Martin a $1.5 million deal while the Roos put a nine year contract in front of Kelly.
Campbell said the decision ultimately came down to each club.
"It scares me a little bit when you start to talk about $1.3 million plus, I think that's a lot of money to put into one player, but it depends on the player and what they're capable of," Campbell said on SEN.
"They're worth what you feel they're worth to you and your football program."
The Bomber chief didn't give anything away on his club's rumoured interest in Kelly.
The Herald Sun reported earlier this month that the Bombers were interested in signing the young star.
"We'll see, Josh Kelly is a contracted player at GWS," he said.
"We are like any club, we want to improve our list and he, that type of player, regardless of Josh or someone else with those attributes would add value to our program."
Channel Nine will not confirm or deny rumours Dustin Martin and his father Shane are set to take part in a paid interview on tomorrow night's Footy Show to confirm his future plans.
Last night Martin arrived back in Melbourne following a brief visit to see his father in Auckland. He was flanked by security guards as he left the airport amid intense media interest in his contract decision.
Martin's camp has confirmed significant interest in a paid interview, with an announcement on the Footy Show ticking the boxes given Dusty's manager Ralph Carr yesterday said the news was likely to be confirmed by Friday.
"It's not my decision but we'll make one at the end of the week I'd say," Carr told the Herald Sun.
"I just know everyone is trying to be as patient as possible."
As of last night Richmond was not aware of any forthcoming TV appearance.
All eyes will no doubt be on Martin later this evening with the 26-year-old expected at the Palais Theatre for the All-Australian function.
He is a certain selection for his second-successive team.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.