Barcelona terror attacker shot dead by police in Spain
POLICE have shot dead the terrorist who killed 13 people by running them over with a van in Barcelona.
Younes Abouyaaqoub was gunned down by police in a confrontation at Subirats to the west of Barcelona city centre about 4.40pm Monday (12.40am AEST).
The 22-year-old Moroccan was wearing what appeared to be an explosive belt and shouting "Allahu Akbar" when police confronted him.
Local police agency Mossos confirmed his death less than two hours later.
"We confirm that the person shot dead in the incident at Subirats is Younes Abouyaaqoub, author of the terror attack in Barcelona,'' they tweeted.
The suspicious man in #Subirats wears what looks like a belt of explosives attached to the body. This man has been shot down— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017
Abouyaaqoub had been on the run since Thursday evening, when he used a rented van to mow down pedestrians on Barcelona's Las Ramblas pedestrian strip, killing 13 people including Australian boy Julian Cadman, seven.
He is also believed to have murdered Pau Perez, 35, after hijacking his car during the getaway.
17:23 TEDAX police officers (bomb tech) are using a robot to make an approach and check the scene— Mossos (@mossos) August 21, 2017
Of the 12 members of the Islamic State terror cell who carried out the attacks across Barcelona on Thursday, six are now dead, four are under arrest and two more are believed to have died when they accidentally detonated a bomb. The imam at the centre of the inquiry, Abdelbaki Es Satty, is dead.
Earlier, police released CCTV images of Abouyaaqoub that showed him captured by a security camera calmly walking through La Boqueria just off Las Ramblas, seconds after the attack.
Mossos, the local police agency, tweeted pictures of him and described him as 180cm tall, with a dark complexion, and possibly sporting a beard.
"He is dangerous and could be armed,'' they said. "He is sought as the alleged perpetrator of the Barcelona attack on August 17. He was the van driver.''
DONATIONS POUR IN FOR AUSSIE BOY
More than $60,000 has been raised for Julian Cadman's family in just hours of a crowd funding page going live.
The GoFundMe page was sent up on Monday afternoon and has attracted plenty of people willing to contribute to the family.
"Andrew, Jom and Julian are a normal Aussie family whose lives have been devastated by the recent tragedy in Barcelona. Like all families they are paying a mortgage, bills and other sundries," wrote Scott Bowman who set up the page.
"As you can imagine there will be ongoing medical costs to get Jom back to full health.
"Many people have been asking how they may support the family at this time. We are asking for any contribution for those that may wish to help. This will assist with additional medical and funeral costs for the family. We thank you greatly for any support you may offer."
Tragic father Andrew Cadman remains at the hospital bedside of his seriously-injured wife in Barcelona, as the family grieves the loss of their little boy, Julian, seven, in Spain's terror attacks.
Mr Cadman is with wife Jumarie "Jom'' Cadman, 42, as she recovers from the injuries she received when a speeding van driven by a terrorist slammed through crowds on the Las Ramblas tourist street, killing 13 people.
The couple's beloved son Julian was among those killed as he walked down the street with his mother as they enjoyed a short break in Spain to attend a wedding.
No decisions have been made about when little Julian's body may be repatriated, with the family being given as much time as they need to grieve.
The Catalan government has said all international victims of the attack would be repatriated to their home countries, with the assistance of police and consular officials.
The Cadmans are being supported by family and friends who have flown to Barcelona.
VAN ATTACKER'S RUN-DOWN FLAT
As police hunted the van attacker on Monday, the first pictures from inside his home emerged.
The Sun reports Abouyaaqoub is believed to have fled on foot after the Las Ramblas attack in which a van zigzagged through into helpless tourists and shoppers in the heart of Barcelona.
Police raided Abouyaaqoub's flat in Ripoll - around 105km from Barcelona - as they say the terror cell behind the attacks has been "dismantled".
Pictures taken inside the run-down apartment show a book entitled 'The Life of the Prophet Muhammad' on a mattress on the floor of a filthy bedroom.
Clothes can also be seen spilling out of open suitcases and a hammer, scissors and nails can be seen scattered around the living room.
The apartment also contains a meagre collection of trophies, including a junior climbing award, a trinket for completing a 10k run and health and safety diploma certificates.
A Moroccan passport is also seen left on a table inside the flat.
Police now believe a terror cell of up to 12 men were behind the terror attacks, revealing that it had been "dismantled".
YOUNGEST VICTIM IDENTIFIED
Three-year-old Javier Martinez, of Spain, was identified as the youngest victim.
Little Javier was walking with family members along Las Ramblas when they were hit. His great-uncle Francisco Lopez Rodriguez, 57, was also killed, while his great-aunt Roser Lopez Rodriguez was injured and remains in hospital.
Another Australian woman injured in the attack, Sydney bank worker Suria Intan, remained in a second Barcelona hospital, where she is being supported by family members and friends.
Crime scene specialists have since recovered 120 gas canisters from the remains of a house in Alcanar, as well as traces of the explosive TATP, and believe it was a bomb factory, which accidentally detonated and deprived the terrorists of explosive devices they planned to use in the attacks.
A town of just 11,000, between 9-10 per cent of the community are immigrants, many from North Africa, but it has not experienced problems with extremism in the past.
Since the horrific al-Qaeda-linked train bombings in Madrid in 2004 which killed 191 people and injured 1800, Spain has escaped the Islamist terror attacks which have been carried out in other European countries including France, Belgium and more recently the UK.
However, officials are now making plans to install bollards and other counter-terrorism infrastructure around landmarks.
Two mosques were attacked in the past 24 hours, in Seville and Granada, with police urging people not to target houses of worship as anger erupts over the Las Ramblas attack, and another several hours later in Cambrils by the same terror cell, which saw a woman stabbed to death.