Baby left in car dies, dad charged
A FATHER charged with manslaughter after allegedly leaving his baby daughter unattended in a car yesterday has this morning been granted bail.
The 38-year-old, who can't be identified for legal reasons, appeared in Rockhampton Magistrates Court where the matter was adjourned until July 28.
He was not required to enter a plea today.
The Queensland Ambulance Service was called to a flat in Chalmers Street, Norman Gardens, at 2.10pm yesterday after the father had run next door to a neighbour to raise the alarm.
Acting Superintendent Rockhampton police district Jon Wacker said paramedics were unable to revive the eight-month-old baby, who was allegedly left in a silver Magna.
He said it had been an extremely traumatic and distressing incident for the ambulance officers and police who attended, and they had been offered counselling.
He said police had conducted doorknocks of the area as investigations into the tragedy continued.
The 38-year-old father of the dead child was taken to Rockhampton police station and charged with manslaughter and leaving a child under the age of 12 unattended.
He was placed in custody overnight and is expected to face Rockhampton Magistrates Court this morning.
The temperature in Rockhampton at 2pm yesterday was 27 degrees.
Last night a team of police forensic officers in blue incident suits and wearing protective masks erected a gazebo over the car in the driveway and worked under arc lights.
Neighbours said they were too shocked to talk about it.
Five police cars were parked in the street. Anyone who can assist with the investigation should call 1800 333 000.