A BABY boy has been struck by deadly meningitis for a second time in just three weeks, his mum fears.
Ashley-Jay Greatorex was first rushed to hospital on March 8, after a rash on his back spread from a few "dots" to cover his entire body in just one day.
Little Ashley was rushed back to hospital just a week after his first brush with meningitis, after another rash began to spread across his body.
At the beginning of March he was first taken to hospital after a few dots spread across his body in just 24 hours.
Mum Annabella Hanslow rushed the youngster, who is just four months old, to hospital after he was struck down by the high temperature and worrying dots.
The rash left doctors scratching their heads, as it appeared different in the early stages compared to normal meningitis cases, she said.
After running a slew of tests, medics diagnosed the youngster with both meningitis and septicaemia
A week later the tot was allowed home from Walsall Manor Hospital.
But within days, another red rash appeared spreading across his little body.
And like last time, it failed to disappear under the pressure of the glass test.
Annabella and Ashley's dad Kieran Greatorex rushed the tot back to hospital, where he had another round of tests and a lumbar puncture after his face, hands and feet became swollen, the Mirror Online reported.
The couple were shocked to discover their son is battling meningitis for a second time - a rare case of the deadly bug striking twice.
After running a slew of tests, medics diagnosed the youngster with both meningitis and septicaemia.
Four days on, the tot is still "very, very poorly" at Walsall Manor Hospital.
Speaking to the Mirror Online, mum Annabella, 26, said she is still "really worried".
She added: "Not a day goes by without us thinking the worst.
"It's a cruel illness and I wouldn't wish it on any child."
The mum, who gave Ashley Calpol after he came down with a temperature on Monday, says she became worried when he was still sick the following day.
It wasn't until Wednesday that she noticed a number of red dots on his skin, and rushed him to the doctor as soon as possible.
The four-month-old was immediately transferred to hospital, where he is still a patient on a drip, though described as being "alert".
Annabella said: "He's slowly getting there it just takes time."
Writing on Facebook, Annabella shared pictures of her son's skin covered in a worrying rash, to warn parents meningitis "doesn't always start like they say it does".
She wrote: "He started with high temp. Fine he was! Till I noticed a few spots.
"Then spread really quick! Not flat but not raised as such either.
"This is a different rash to the normal they come across they have never seen it spread so quick!
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.