The dead green sea turtle and the plastic taken from its body.
The dead green sea turtle and the plastic taken from its body.

Discarded plastic kills turtle



Discarded plastic kills green turtleA perfectly healthy green sea turtle has died because of human carelessness, according to Seabird Rescue volunteer, Nicole Bryant.

And Nicole, who works at the Byron Bay Veterinary Clinic, is angry.

She said an autopsy revealed the turtle was full of shredded plastic bags and pieces of plastic.

The plastic had caused a bowel obstruction which eventually led to the turtle's death, she said.

The turtle was found on a beach at Ballina about four weeks ago and had been in the care of Seabird Rescue until it died last week.

"He died a horrible, slow death," said Nicole.

"I'm very made. A perfectly healthy turtle has died because of human carelessness."

Nicole appealed to beachgoers and boat owners to be careful with any plastic and to dispose of it properly.

She said anyone seeing a green sea turtle on the beach should not attempt to put it back in the water.

The shell should be covered with a wet towel and the turtle put in shade until expert help arrived.

If that help wasn't available, turtles could be taken to the Byron Bay Veterinary Clinic on the Byron Bay Arts and Industry Estate.

Seabird Rescue can be contacted on 0428862852.


Your chance to win Simple Pleasures photo competition

Your chance to win Simple Pleasures photo competition

Love is all you need for Bruns photo comp

EDITORIAL: An idea even bigger than this headline

EDITORIAL: An idea even bigger than this headline

Strap yourself in fellow dreamers

EDITORIAL: Hashtag us back to the Stone Age

EDITORIAL: Hashtag us back to the Stone Age

Trust the instincts of our own beautiful #byrontribe

Local Partners